best auto transplant

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
ZF 4HP22 should fit in the tunnel. He wants the e28/e23 one that uses a kickdown wire, the newer 4HP22 are electrical, and don't have a wire.

Last edited:

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Asking for a friend: Swapping out the 5 speed O/D manual to an auto. What's the best auto that will fit in the transmission tunnel ?

Cheers
Matthew

This is possibly the most Un-Australian thing I've ever heard of :D
Are you able to shed some light on the thinking here as I'd be confident it will de-value the car and also decrease the driving experience.
Not trying to be a contrarian but curious as to why somebody would want to go this way.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is possibly the most Un-Australian thing I've ever heard of :D
Are you able to shed some light on the thinking here as I'd be confident it will de-value the car and also decrease the driving experience.
Not trying to be a contrarian but curious as to why somebody would want to go this way.
I remember a guy that developed a problem with his left leg and was getting unable to operate the clutch. And still wanting to drive his classic car, he opted for an automatic.

Reactions: Wes

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I remember a guy that developed a problem with his left leg and was getting unable to operate the clutch. And still wanting to drive his classic car, he opted for an automatic.
I know two people on this forum who have had to stay/go automatic because of health reasons. Glad they can still enjoy their coupes.
I've had what used to be called Porsche hip (since replaced, but it is what it is), and if I lived in a metro/busy environment, I would be shiftless. (spelling is important here..) Some of the e9 demographic is getting younger, but many of us aren't...