Belt line moldings.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi:
I have a few new OEM BMW belt line trim pieces for the front passenger fender of a 2000cs. They are still in the original plastic wrapers. I recently took a rear quarter belt trim along with the new front fender piece so to show the finish, to a shop to have polished and was told that the front piece was chrome plated and the rear piece was polished aluminum. Does this make sense? Would BMW have made the belt trim in different materials?
Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. Because I had planned on willing my 67 2000CS to my son,I recently gave it to him so I can see him enjoy it,seeing he did the entire restoration,excludeing the paint.
It is 90% finished and every part that showed any wear was replaced with new.
Thanks
Koopman
PS. If anyone is looking for a passenger front belt trim piece I still have a couple new OEM in original unopened packages.

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
The problem is most German aluminum trim is anodized so there’s always the possibility of polishing thru the anodizing which is certainly a noticeable blemish, however I’m not absolutely sure about coupe side moldings, maybe someone else will chime in on that. Another possibility however unlikely is someone already polished thru the anodizing and had a plating shop chrome the moldings to cover it up. About 30 years ago when I was rebuilding 914 Porsche insurance wrecks I polished all the anodizing off a windshield molding, it was a waste of my time :(, it never had the same sheen of the anodized moldings and it dulled out rather quickly. ~ John Buchtenkirch

Last edited:

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Just a very minor point.

The belt line or belt moldings are actually the chrome plated brass moldings at the very top of the quarter & door skins. The aluminum trim below that is actually the body side moldings or side moldings for short, something a parts man corrected me on :oops: some 40 years ago. ~ John Buchtenkirch

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
No. Early 2-liter trim pieces were chrome-plated brass
This is true for the panel that goes between the tail lights on 2000 coupes, but the body side moldings are all aluminum. I have several sets of both 2000 coupe and E9 side moldings and they are all aluminum.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Belt Moldings.

Thanks guys!
The shop was wrong than. The only reason I thought they were right is the front piece has such a high sine compared to any I have seen.
Any help is always appreciated.
Koopman