Beautifully Restored 2800CS

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks incredible but why the black paint under the bumpers? Chamonix is a great color and these photos do it justice. Just needs the proper air cleaner color and oil fill cap and a few very, very minor things.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
What is the asking price on this car? Is this the same car that has been for sale since last year? I know I've seen that video a while ago when the car was for sale.

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
STAY FAR AWAY FROM THOSE PEOPLE!!!!! Last year I almost bought a 70MB 280SE coupe that looked beautiful. They set up an internet video so that I could use and zoom in the camera. When asked to see the bottom they hesitated but finally put the car on the lift...they had sprayed fresh black paint..you can see the shinny wet vs the drying paint. They stated the car had no rust..but it was impossible to tell after painting ( I also knew it was a recent paint because you can see before and after pictures). The car was advertised as California car. I was able to trace down the previous owner of the car and he confirmed that the car was a rust junk. That said, that 2800 looksbeautiful and at that time I was told it was sold. If you look at my avitar it is that car since I didn't have any good pictures of my car. Oh well, rust follows me since I ended up with a rusty 3.0CSI...you would think after that experience that I should have learned my lesson...shame on me.
abe

Last edited:

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Agree with Abe, although the car's been sold for some time....Mark this often happens when a sale web page keeps circling around the super servers of the world and one's search engines find it without regard for date of creation.

Just in case you ARE interested in acquiring a solid 2800 that's been dry stored for over 18 years...read on.

The car itself:

Unmolested (and very complete) BMW 2800CSA 1972 reg. Malaga/Saddle VIN 2280264 a virtual timecapsule in situ. (Reg. number makes it #264 out of the last run of 526 2800CSA vehicles BMW/KARMANN produced for the US market) Not sure of it's mechanials but the car has factory AC and when cleaned up and the Webers blown out and tuned, etc all the buyer really needs to provide are a set of tires and the willingness (to save the shipping fee) a bit of bravado to drive it home themselves.

One can tell by the accumulated particle dust that this car has been dormant for quite some time....body shell is quite good thoughout Price is $7500 US which includes overall refurbishment so that it can be safely driven and as a look/see offer...A full report is available with a 250.00 deposit that will go toward the information alone and the price of the car if purchased within 24 hours of the report. Also depending on distance, reasonable shipping costs likely won't exceed $500.00 uncovered point to point rate.

I am somewhat obligated to give Alex from the Army in Iraq who posts here a bit of time to decide say until tomorrow noon PDST to respond in kind to my offering it to him, otherwise the car is going to be available tomorrow PM in the clear...and even though I have not been remunerated for any of the inspeciton work that's been performed, I do understand the needs of the few here... in any event unless Alex puts down a significant deposit by tomorrow, he's gong to have to get back into line...

FLAMalaga.jpg

Body condition on these Coupes is what you pay for Mark...The front seats need recovering (leather) and the car has lasted so long both because of the dry storage conditions and also because it's a solid roof (ie. no sunroof) example.

Cheers!

Ran

Last edited:

MarksE9

Reaction score
Only goes to show how valuable being a member of this forum is. My original intention was simply to point to some good close up photos of various parts of an E9 for anyone (like me) about to restore one. I must admit I didn't take much notice of the fact it was for sale but for anyone enquiring the comments of other (experienced and knowledgeable) members would have saved them a lot of trouble and money!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This thread is unreal.

Abe reporting a webcam voyeuristic session, and their hesitancy to show the bottom (kind of normal unless it is a paid site).

Then Ran goes Somali on Alejandro with a deadline demanding a deposit for a car so dusty he may as well drive it in Iraq. For all we know Alejandro flies drones...and needs no stinking rust inspection, just confirms the seller's lattitude and longitude on his GPS when picking up the car.

Don't want to nitpick, but my spleen says the Malaga car is missing the clutch, the steering wheel is late seventies, and unlike Persian rugs polka dot E9 carpets don't get better with time.

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Can someone interpret all of this for me? I think I forgot to take my Ritalin today. My virgin mind...you have
a filthy mind Arde.
abe

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
This disembodied Spleen talk is quite unusual for your Steve....

Then Ran goes Somali on Alejandro with a deadline demanding a deposit for a car so dusty he may as well drive it in Iraq. For all we know Alejandro flies drones...and needs no stinking rust inspection, just confirms the seller's lattitude and longitude on his GPS when picking up the car.

Alejandro is a stand up guy that's got many past 24hr covert missions on his mind and simply cannot find the Western Union office if he tripped over it ...

The dust on the car is (as I said) telling of it's long term storage...I thought Alex would appreciate the humor as he's stationed in the sand somewhere' outside of Kuwait city and cannot say where...it's an automatic so the clutch is indeed missing, the wheel indeed ugly but the original is in the trunk so in all by Tuesday I will have searched for any rust that's hiding and likely Alex will swoop in on his drone and drag the thing away without paying anything...until he's quite satisfied that we all walk our talk and have some sort of reputation to uphold?

Cheers Steve!

Wozniak

Edited to add: Abe.... Arde is actually a on-vacation psudonym used by Steve Jobs, one of the founders of Apple Computer in Cupertino CA. Last year he had his spleen removed and some report that the speen itself has appeared on the internet as speaking for Steve himself who would much rather remain anonymous....Wozniak has had to stop in on more than one occasion to moderate between the speen and Steve himself to certify who is speaking when and all the Lawyers from Apple are upset as hell as a result.

That fill you in Abe?

Last edited:

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
and what?....

Information is $250...and how much for pictures? Easy on the dust thing, guys, it looks like very dry dust.

I hate to digress from potentially easy mud-slinging, but I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving. Dave V. in western NC

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The dust on the car is (as I said) telling of it's long term storage...it's an automatic so the clutch is indeed missing, the wheel indeed ugly but the original is in the trunk so in all by Tuesday I will have searched for any rust that's hiding and likely Alex will swoop in on his drone and drag the thing away without paying anything...until he's quite satisfied that we all walk our talk and have some sort of reputation to uphold?

Cheers Steve!

Wozniak

Thanks Woz for your kind words. My spleen has swollen to the size of a stuffed Turkey, our president has just pardoned a Turkey, yet I cry foul because the Turkey was never convicted in the first place. I seek here coupe eye candy therapy, like Orangener's pictures, like Mario's crafty restorations, I even visited Carl at La Jolla early last week to breath the resto in the making atmosphere. And what do I get from Woz my ex-partner:

A dusty malaga last used by Domino's pizza for local delivery... I didn't want to pile critique on you, but adding a lone speaker in the back doesn't produce stereo (our ears are placed sideways), the exposed wire to the speaker a reminder that nothing is more permanent than a temporary fix, and the hanging left panel cover, paint a picture probably topped by peanut butter as a handy lubricant for the differential.

Happy Thanksgivings to all!

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
...and what do I get from Woz my ex-partner
Parnerships (like my accountant often quips) are like a marriage without sex...
Not all of us have the beauty and photographic lighting Austria has to offer ...
...as partial (temporary) compensation I can only provide a few of Orangener's Coupe shots from the past...
and a short slideshow film I did up this Autumn as a color study for my own needs

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93/JRanmann/?action=view&current=AutumnCoupeColor.flv

E9Kahlenberg042.jpg

IMAGE020_18A.jpg

orange1.jpg

Andi does do marvelous work indeed@!

Woz

Last edited: