Beach Cruisers

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My family and I are going to be spending some quality time in the coming years on Seabrook Island, just south of Charleston. Since I'm not allowed to take the E9 within 100 miles of the coast (unless it's at Amelia Island which outlaws rust during the month of March) and would not let sandy kids jump in the back, we've been debating a cheap runabout for the beach. The place is littered with electric vehicles (mostly rented to the tune of $500/week) and does not permit golf carts on the roads.

My ideal car would be a Mini Moke but these are almost impossible to find in project form here in the states. I've also seen a few VW Things which would fit the bill (and even a electric drive conversion kit which would be a fun project).

So, the question is what other options for cheap (under 7K) beach fun am I missing and do you have one for sale? This car will get sandy, wet, etc. and so the moke at Amelia is not an option. Fiat Jolly's all seem to be priced more ridiculously than early 911's and Jeep Willy's seem harder and harder to find.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Love the Brat, haven't seen one of those in years. The Baja is a little too modern and not open enough. I really am looking for something that goes less than 50 mph. A street legal golf cart essentially.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
My vote would be a Meyers Manx - shove a corvair motor in the back and pretend you're Steve Mcqueen!

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
I forgot to add...

If you can find one, a Halflinger (Steyr Puch) would be a cool-almost-BMW for your beach needs.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Calling all Spokane coupsters,

I have found the perfect beach cruiser, an old willys CJ2 located in Harrison, ID. I was wondering whether anyone would be willing to go take a look and or trailer/drive it home so I can arrange shipment back east. I am assuming that it will be cheaper to ship it from Spokane but I may be off base here.

Please PM or call if you have any interest. Thanks.

Benji

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Problem solved. Bought the willys featured on BAT a while back. The seller had a death in the family which delayed the sale but it's now on the way. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400887211.213036.jpg. For those wondering this is the sellers son and girlfriend. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400887267.743493.jpg. This is the Walvoord family minus the 3 year old. I wonder why I keep buying cars with no seat belts?

m73

Reaction score
I too have a soft spot for flat fender Jeeps. Back in college, after owning every other type of off-road vehicle, I wanted to buy one. Still haven't been able to pull the trigger.

As they say 'Nice Find!'

MF

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
....good enough alone...

Big day here as I have now hauled off the frame for blasting/powder coating and the tub, fenders, grill and a few other misc. parts for sand/soda blasting and paint.

What started as a rear-main seal replacement has turned into a complete frame off restoration. Although I still have a long way to go in putting her (yes, even though her name is still willy in our house) back together, after shopping for unobtainium parts for the coupe for so long, building a jeep is practically cheap and easy.

Also, I'm really getting to know the local hot rod and automotive shops around town so that when I do get ready to paint the coupe (years from now) I'll know where to go.

https://flic.kr/p/q6Udii

Last edited:

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Almost finished with the Willys resto. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431990480.481622.jpg
The steering, pedals and gauges are now in. Hopefully I'll get the wiring finished next week after the holiday.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I suggest a Bimini top for the Jeep. You feel out in the open, but don't burn.

Last edited: