BBS style 5 17x8 2 piece wheels

Bavman

Reaction score
I came across a large collections of these wheels...they are going to wholesale them all to a refinishing company but I can pull a couple of sets out if I can get $500 a set with center caps.

Is anyone interested? I could get the best 2 sets out of 5 sets.

You will have to email me at [email protected]

I do not have these wheels in my hands and photos may be an issue...but if you are serious I can get some done.

Thanks

Al Taylor

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
I opened this thread as a fan of the style 5. I think the $500 set price and $125 a wheel sounds lucrative at first, but they are a pain to refinish "right" because they need to be disassembled, all the bolts hammered out (takes a very long time speaking from experience) and then needs a good refinisher to deal with the tight mesh of the centers when spraying. Then once refinished, the center caps are irrelevant as you may as well get new ones to be perfect. There are pains with get the result if letting them be one and also if it is DIY. Sometimes it is better to just dig deeper and buy a good set for 1000-1500. These are however ideal for anyone that wants to venture away from the standards silver center and machined lips where those costs shall be encountered anyway.

As it is a forum I hope you do not mind this feedback and just want prospective members to be aware of the complexities and costs associated with refinishing these :)

Bavman

Reaction score
Yes, that is true....I have been in the middle of a style 42 refinish for 3 years.

I baked each wheel in the oven to get the bolts out easily. Not practical for most folks..And there is no way to do a quick polish on them with the bolts in....the clearcoat is always an issue after so many years..

Looking into 17 race tire options, I may use a couple of sets on one of the race cars.

Al

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I redid a set of these for an E39 many years ago, and didn’t find it to be much trouble. With the right socket and a 3/8” impact wrench the nuts zipped right off. The bolts popped out easily too with a couple of sound taps using a hardwood dowel (w a hose clamp on it to stop the end from splitting), and a 2lbs dead blow hammer. Painting the centers would be finicky but mine only needed the lips redone because the clear coat had peeled.

If you really like these I’d say $100 each is a reasonable price.

Bavman

Reaction score
OK, will get some pictures of the very bestest of all these wheels, saw them in the light the other day...and they do not need refinishing.

I can put you in direct contact as I have no interest in getting in the middle, wheels are located central VA $700 would buy a set of FIVE (5) wheels with center caps

Interested parties email me at [email protected] and include your phone # and I will put you in touch.

Thanks

Al Taylor

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can I still get a set at 4/500?
If not, will that 5th wheel fit in my spare tire well?
Preferably with a tire? :rolleyes:

Bavman

Reaction score
That is a legitimate concern...somewhere, maybe tire rack site is a +1, +2 diameter chart...see what 17 inch tire is = to 195/70/14.

I have no idea as I don't run 17's...

Also, I am sure the price for 4 at 500 is good,

Thanks

Al

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can I still get a set at 4/500?
If not, will that 5th wheel fit in my spare tire well?
Preferably with a tire? :rolleyes:

You can buy a BBS RC040 which is only 7.5” wide. They aren’t that common but you can find a single on eBay if you keep your eyes out. Not sure how much it helps but it is .5” more narrow.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
A little tip for those near a self serve yard on the site... If you use row52.com and do a vehicle search you can use "BMW" or "5-series" and watch when an e39 with style 5's gets placed in the yard. They sell wheel sets in the office and a set of style 5's is $250 in my area. This is pick-n-pull but they have other yards listed. I do a weekly search for old BMW's in my area...