Bavaria in NJ 1973 FYI

chope97

Reaction score
Glad you got it. I was wondering what happened to it a couple of years ago I got a rusty 74 4 speed for $500 in Md. It had a great engine pulled the head and put it on my 73, pulled the header and put it on my 71

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Grabbed it. Thanks for the heads up!
Nice that someone on the forum got it. I was a day late trying to arrange transportation. Do you plan on parting it or making it operable. If the former, could really use some of those parts. I was very interested in the rims.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
... I was very interested in the rims.
They are my 2nd favorite wheels on a Bavaria. Right behind the hubcaps and trim rings with steel wheels that are on my car now....

IMG_4294.JPG

I just refinished a set...

IMG_8594.JPG

....and ordered tires today. I plan to switch between the two types to change the car's personality periodically.

They are plentiful and cheap. In fact I think Don gave away a bunch just to get them out of his shop. You and I might be the only two that like them, Frederick. ;)

They remind me of the Ferrari Dino (and others) Cromodora wheels.

s-l1600.png

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I like those wheels the best. They are what came on my 2800CS and that's what I'm keeping on it. My spare wheel had a crack but I managed to pick up two more so I'm good to go. Don sold me some cherry hub caps so I'm all set.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like the Steelies with the hubcaps also, but I don't think those trim rings exist! Yours look great. The rings and hubcaps came on my first BMW, a 1968
1602 I bought in 1975. It was painted red with a white roof.
I am really conflicted as to what rims to put on the car. Would like to stay with 14's but most new wheels are 16.
I like this style as well:
1665750494997.png

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
They are my 2nd favorite wheels on a Bavaria. Right behind the hubcaps and trim rings with steel wheels that are on my car now....

View attachment 150004

I just refinished a set...

View attachment 150005

....and ordered tires today. I plan to switch between the two types to change the car's personality periodically.

They are plentiful and cheap. In fact I think Don gave away a bunch just to get them out of his shop. You and I might be the only two that like them, Frederick. ;)

They remind me of the Ferrari Dino (and others) Cromodora wheels.

View attachment 150006
Set that you refinished look great!...media blast and powder-coat? Or what...?
I agree with the Dino comment...I'm temted to skip the wheel covers and go with just center bmw caps, to look more like the ones on a Dino.

Attachments

• e9 Dino wheels.JPG
    e9 Dino wheels.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 67

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
...but I don't think those trim rings exist! Y
Ain't it the truth! They are VERY delicate and many were probably damaged prior to the 80's when everyone was then throwing away those that were left to install aftermarket or later BMW wheels. Even the steel E3 wheels are quite difficult to find (at least in North America).

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Set that you refinished look great!...media blast and powder-coat? Or what...?
I agree with the Dino comment...I'm temted to skip the wheel covers and go with just center bmw caps, to look more like the ones on a Dino.
Remember...this is for a Bavaria, so there is a budget ;). I sanded the barrels and backs by hand with 180. I had the fronts media blasted ($15 each), then Scotch Brite, primer then VHT Ford Argent Silver wheel paint.

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.53.08 AM.png

I removed some dings from the caps, buffed, and replaced the Roundels

I REALLY like your idea for the center treatment Dave. OK if I steal it?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like this look also, this was stock on some 2002's (although they look a little better without the cutouts for the hubcap access), I considered it before lucking into my Alpinas, I held onto my original wheels.

377AA387-32EB-4EDB-9584-7F31744DB1F1.thumb.jpeg.7f1656f402b7de353a9d26e51d9be242.jpeg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Remember...this is for a Bavaria, so there is a budget ;). I sanded the barrels and backs by hand with 180. I had the fronts media blasted ($15 each), then Scotch Brite, primer then VHT Ford Argent Silver wheel paint.

View attachment 150013

I've always used Krylon Dull Aluminum for rattle can silver wheels but I like the way your wheels look with the VHT. I'm not a fan of those wheels, but the paint looks nice. :)

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score

View attachment 150013

An amateur imitates, a professional steals :) I forgot about the 02 version...I think that the design is more successful in the larger version...the 02 version always looked a little cramped to me.
And in this house, there is always a budget...she said. Thanks for the resto information.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am not sure that cap fits, I think that may have been the reason I didn't pursue it, perhaps someone can verify.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like this look also, this was stock on some 2002's (although they look a little better without the cutouts for the hubcap access), I considered it before lucking into my Alpinas, I held onto my original wheels.

377AA387-32EB-4EDB-9584-7F31744DB1F1.thumb.jpeg.7f1656f402b7de353a9d26e51d9be242.jpeg
Yes, those look awesome.