Barn find '75 CSi

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Went to look at this car. Owner wants to sell, car was imported from Germany May 30 1985, was used that summer and put in a garage until a few days ago.

Owner is wondering about value of car. So I'm posting to give the owner an idea of what to expect it could/should/might sell for.

It has rust issues. Sports an Alpina air dam and rear wing, engine looks like a stock CSi, don't know if it has a hotter cam or anything. No Alpina parts under the hood.

Interior is in decent shape just needs a good cleaning, since it has mildewed a little, all wood is perfect, sunroof and front windows are manual wind. Rear windows are electric.

Car is worth saving. I've put it in the Registry, and sent an e-mail to BMW.

Link to photos: https://plus.google.com/photos/1095...s/5936727306026348033?authkey=COPXicPg-urB-gE

Last edited:

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Slightly OT ....I thought post '73(?) models had horizontal stitching for seat inserts ? ( whereas this has vertical ).Obviously a'75 car though . Cheers,Simon

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Slightly OT ....I thought post '73(?) models had horizontal stitching for seat inserts ? ( whereas this has vertical ).Obviously a'75 car though . Cheers,Simon

As I understand in Europe, the year of the car is based in when it is registered.
The car looks like a '74. My CSi was built in 1972 and is registered as a '73. The car 9 serial numbers before mine is registered as a 1972.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
135 cars from last CSi so yes it was built in '75.

And I've never seen the area above the glove box look like that, some crude repair perhaps? Genuine Alpina slotted mag wheels? :)

Incredibly rusty, even the aluminum has oxidized very badly. Too bad, imported and not driven.

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
135 cars from last CSi so yes it was built in '75.

And I've never seen the area above the glove box look like that, some crude repair perhaps? Maybe,or someone painted it with a brush. Genuine Alpina slotted mag wheels? :) Reminds me of Orangener.

Incredibly rusty, even the aluminum has oxidized very badly. Too bad, imported and not driven.

Yes everything's oxidized, it is a true barn find, think it was rusty when she bought it. So it wouldn't pass inspection, so it sat, she paid $5,847.

I've put it in the registry as in storage.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
From BMW

The BMW 3.0 CSi VIN 4341294 was manufactured on October 7th, 1975 and delivered on October 10th, 1975 to the BMW dealer Lindlar in Bergisch-Gladbach. The original colour was Taiga metallic, paint code 072.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Value?

Yes everything's oxidized, it is a true barn find, think it was rusty when she bought it. So it wouldn't pass inspection, so it sat, she paid $5,847.

I've put it in the registry as in storage.

Might not be worth what she paid as I assume it has deteriorated since 1985. If nothing else the engine will need recomisssioning and anything with hydraulic fluid is MG ($2k).

Do you think she's realistic that its close to a parts car?
What would any of you guys pay?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting car, so hard to place a value when the target buyers are so narrow. Either somebody that values the parts and can store while disassembling or somebody to restore it well. I suspect a restorer would pay more as the initial cost will be such a small fraction of the total cost...

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What's it worth?

Would like input and thoughts on a value of this '75 barn find. So please chime in. I'd like to let the owner know what to expect value/price wise.

Thanks

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Odd Bits

I can gt only the first 12 photos...
1. Corvette style flags on the Alpine front air dam...
2. Weird side skirts "ground effects"
3. Odd mirrors
4. Wind splits look too long.

If structurally sound it MIGHT be worthmore than a parts car. Looks like a lot of work though.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Andrew,
I just finished my morning coffee and am feeling snippy, so here are some random thoughts.
Sad that somebody felt the need to cover Taiga with an awful paint job that looks like latex white house paint applied with brush. THe only thing 'Alpina' look to be the stickers - and they're likely repros, too. Hey, the screwdriver has a red handle! Good to know that they replaced the gas tank prior to letting it sit for several decades. Did they spray paint the trunk interior black!? (like the headliner) Some of the flaking/cracking paint looks deep like a thick layer of bondo in the photos, is that what you saw in person? Did you get a good look at the tail? Not actually registered in the US? Some of the photos make it look as if the exhaust manifolds are not attached. With all the recent header chatter, I like how photo 61 shows the low-flow exhaust system, non-mandrel bent.

Following up on Stans observations:
1. cracked CSL airdam with brake cooling ducts cut out for fog lights.
2. unknown-make side skirts may be good for promoting and hiding rocker rust, but little else.
3. odd mirrors = Vitaloni 'baby turbo' model - popular in the 80's with the Cal-look crowd
4. wind splits mounted on edge of hood (and they do look to be about 1' too long)

From the photos it doesn't look like any care was taken to preserve it during its hibernation - just parked and left to rot as-is. So, I would imagine that the motor is seized and that the body has yet to reveal the full extent of rust. It is save-able, but without knowing the actual condition of the motor and body it is an open question as to how much time/money to get right again. Much of the trim looks to be in good condition. If the interior was not completely digested by the mold, it looks pretty good. Offer the owner $5k if you're feeling lucky.

I can gt only the first 12 photos...
1. Corvette style flags on the Alpine front air dam...
2. Weird side skirts "ground effects"
3. Odd mirrors
4. Wind splits look too long.

If structurally sound it MIGHT be worthmore than a parts car. Looks like a lot of work though.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Side skirts are one reason why I am glad the 80's are over.

From the pics the interior possibly looks salvageable, mine was mildewy when I got it and I spent a couple months with a toothbrush and cleaners.

Body looks rough.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Did they spray paint the trunk interior black!? (like the headliner) Yes they did. Some of the flaking/cracking paint looks deep like a thick layer of bondo in the photos, is that what you saw in person? Yes it does, paint is crazed pretty badly . Some would call it patina. Did you get a good look at the tail? Yes, the tail looks good. Not actually registered in the US? Correct, they just drove it during the grace period.

I do hope the car gets saved as I've posted before, It's one of the last CSi 100- something built.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
carcass

I tend to agree with Arde's evaluation of what it's worth to whom...
Personally, I think that, like my similar but less rusty "parts" car, it is would be pretty crazy to try to restore 50% of the body/chassis parts, which is in large part, most of what an E9 is...most all else is just attached to said body/chassis. So if you have $100K, you can have a car worth maybe 60K...yes, values are up, as are parts, but realistically, I think its a parts car.
Wood dash parts look good, but its 40 year old glue...$250
Upholstery and carpet that, scrub as you will (and I have...) may still stink forever...$300
Bumpers..hard to tell condition, but they are mostly straight...$300-600
Tailights, front grilles, aluminum billet trim, kink roundel, wheels...$500
Unknown/doubtful engine, brakes, transmission, electrical, many rusty-from-the-inside panels....$0
Total...$1650
That's on the low side of retail, i.e., what I would consider paying for those (obviously usable) parts...If I were her, I would offer the car for $3500, but would take $2000 and go to the bank..... What would I pay for it?...If it was one day's roundtrip drive ($300 to trailer...) away, I would pay $1500, maybe up to $2000, if it looks better in person...But I'm not in the business of parting cars...Someone like Al Taylor would have a better idea of "value bought" versus "value sold"...My guess is that folks in the business would pay up to $1K for the car hoping to return $3.5K in parts (in as-found condition), before expenses...
My $.02 worth...