Ballast resistor

Henrik

Reaction score
Hi!
I´m very close to start up my rebuilded (yes it took me five years) e9 with a 3.3i engine.
I have just noticed that I´m missing a ballast resistor (0.9 or 0.4-0.6 ohm). E23 wiring diagram show three wires instead of the usual two (one in,one out). It´s two black/red wires and a green one. I have searched the net and can´t find any sources for this special ballast resistor. Is there a cunning way to solve this? For example use an ordinary resistor between the black/red wires and "forget" the green one?

Henrik

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
What year is your coupe? If it is a '74 or later, ballast resistors weren't used in the ignition circuit. Instead, a resistance wire, with clear insulation, feeds the positive side of the coil (in "run" mode) along with a black wire which is used in the "start" mode. May be the green wire is the resistance wire in your case? HTH.

Henrik

Reaction score
The 3.3 liter engine is from a 1978 E23 and a ballast resistor is required. It´s specified to work from 0.4 to 0.6 Ohm. I've never seen this kind of ballast resistor before.
But a mechanic at a local BMW shop knew the problem, and they ordered one for me. I will get it next week.
Hopefully it will complete the puzzle.

Henrik

61porsche

Reaction score
fyi

There are two. One for pointless or electronic ignition-BMW 12-14-1-360-676.
And one with points- the last three digits changed to 362.

W&N has them.