Auto Box Interchangeability

asutherl

Reaction score
I bought my first e9 several months ago with a non-operational auto trans. I came across a good condition auto trans out of a Bavaria for cheap so I picked it up under the impression it's a direct swap.

Side by side, the e9 and Bavaria boxes look to have the same general dimensions and at first blush, appear to be interchangeable.

Can anyone confirm this?

And yes, I should probably just do a 5 speed but I've been having a difficult time find some of the parts, like the pedal box.

Andrew

PaulinPa

Reaction score
Auto trans are same for both models,swapping should be bolt-in.Early models were ZF later ones were Borg-Warner.You don't need whole pedal box for 5-spd conversion just the pedals and shaft they pivot on,box itself is the same.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I noticed a 1979 manual 528i at the yard in Sac. Today.
They will fit also.

5 cents

Reaction score
1979 528i parts car

Which Sacramento yard has the 1979 528i parts car? Thank you

asutherl

Reaction score
I decided to put the bavaria trans in for now since it was just sitting there! It looks like I'll need to get some custom oil cooler lines made since they're different. Also, the bavaria trans has 3 large ports/openings in the bell housing. Do these have rubber plugs or are the just "open"?

Lastly, I need to find a longer tranny dip stick as the bavaria trans didn't come with one and the old trans dip stick is too short.

edit: Just to be clear, the old trans was the ZF and the new trans is the Borg Warner.

Andrew

Last edited: