Auction bargain?

colrich

Reaction score
I've always loved the shape of the e9 but long thought I could never justify paying the figures that csl's command.
A couple of weeks ago I was looking to bid on an integrale when I came across one that was going to auction that day, I did a bit of research an thought if I didn't win the evo I would have a bid on the csl
I won it an I was made up, that was until it arrived, then my joy turned to disappointment, not with the car itself which I think is a bit of a bargain, same owner since 1978, total 4 owner car, original paint, everything works, took it for a blast around the block, a good usable car, no the issue is the colour, Ceylon Gold, to anyone who owns one no disrespect but it's horrible, I know people will say why buy it then, online the colour looked ok, totally different in the flesh, which is maybe the reason it sold for what it did.
I have a couple of other cars, one being a 1978 black 930 turbo that I was selling to a Peter Sellers fan who has bought the car new but now I'm not sure.
My dilemma, keep the csl an hope I get used to the colour, I wouldn't want to repaint an lose the originality or keep the 930 instead??

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ceylon is a lovely color, perhaps it wasn’t repainted correctly.

1476DF9A-95CF-4BDA-B743-EDD4108ECFA0.jpeg

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
....as Chris says, Ceylon is a lovely colour and highly desirable( and rare),particularly for a CSL . When you say you want to keep "originality", is it the original paint from the factory?..( in which case it's just faded/dull ).or are you talking about a colour change ? Either way, keep Ceylon and just make sure the colour is "correct"

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is sad to read. Perhaps post some photos to get a read of how "correct" the color renders on the car. If you decide to part ways with it, list it here - I trust someone will be pleased to be its next custodian.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think that you will find, among many bmw lovers of that period, that Ceylon isn't just beloved, it is revered, because of the rarity and audacity of that ballsy color back in the day. Doesn't mean you have to like it, though. As we always say in the furniture biz, "if you hate it, paint it..." or I have a US spec 3.0cs that is Polaris, if you are more partial to silver, and want to trade even ;) ...As Chris said, perhaps its just a foul repaint.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i am in the 'i love ceylon' camp. when its right, its alive. i suspect that many had issues with oxidation like many of the other BMW metallic paints. that being said, i have seen so many repainted ceylon cars that were just wrong. most were too 'brown' of a gold. some were just interpretations, kind of like the porsche gold of the time, or the corvette gold, the mustang gold, the 442 gold ... all just wrong. the left pic is @ccr2002's original paint ceylon (outside). the next pic i my coupe's engine compartment (indoors). i think we got the color right. the fact is, ceylon is a polarizing color ... some love it, some hate it. but if its a brown gold ceylon like the 2002 below, i hate it.

the next pic is the porsche gold ... and then the 2002 that is the 'brown gold' version, followed by a Werk Shop resto 2002 (notice the difference). then there is this mustang that was repainted, not the original ford color, a little more orange than ceylon.

Attachments

• ceylon - ccr 4.JPG
    ceylon - ccr 4.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 118
  • engine compartment - R.jpg
    engine compartment - R.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 71 911s - gold.jpg
    71 911s - gold.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 113
  • ceylon 2002.jpg
    ceylon 2002.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 2002 - werk shop - ceylon.jpg
    2002 - werk shop - ceylon.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 107
  • mustang - BAT - gold.jpg
    mustang - BAT - gold.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my painter said - not gold. then he sprayed some and everybody that saw it asked ... what is that color? fantastic,

we tested many versions, the PPG water based was the winner. Glasurit said not to use their current formula to touch up an original ceylon as it would not match. i find it interesting that there are some new cars with colors that draw from ceylon.

here are a couple of porsches ... the new 993 turbo and the 991 turbo s exclusive ... both of these are different, but very interesting, more of a contemporary take on the color..

Attachments

• porsche-project-gold-50.jpg
    porsche-project-gold-50.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 121
  • 911 Turbo S Exclusive Series - Catalogue_005.jpg
    911 Turbo S Exclusive Series - Catalogue_005.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 911 Turbo S Exclusive Series - Catalogue_006.jpg
    911 Turbo S Exclusive Series - Catalogue_006.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 111
  • ceylon - ccr 2.JPG
    ceylon - ccr 2.JPG
    314.2 KB · Views: 112

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well I love it also. My CS is Ceylon - pictured. I also have a Chaminox CSL. While I love all my children equally, some are more equal than others..
If your CSL is more or less original I'd try to keep it that way, right down to the factory paint, assuming that's what it is. If you follow the market the cars that are most sort after are either unmolested survivors or those with OEM correct restorations. I'm going to stop now and tap in @Keshav..

IMG_0637.jpg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@colrich
Welcome to the forum……Like the members above have said, Ceylon is a very desirable color, specially if its a CSL as not many at all we’re produced in that color, let alone in the RHD version. Share some pics and info before we can recommend keeping it or not. Restoring a CSL to top condition is not a simple undertaking. How do you know it’s the original color? Do you have a BMW certificate stating that?
Either way, if you don’t like it you don’t! It definitely doesn’t compare to a Porsche 930 Turbo, that’s in a league of its own.

Keshav

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps if you imagine yourself as a James Bond super-villain as you drive around it would help. Not implying that owners of ceylon E9s are villainous! There's just something about that shape and color combo that makes me picture it parked in front of a cantilever staircase.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Much like most metallic colors, Ceylon looks VERY different in sunlight vs in the shadows. Just look at Wes’s pic in post #11 vs Aussiecsi in post #4.

Could it be that the pics you looked at on the auction site were taken in the sun, but all you’ve had since receiving the actual car was English pea soup?

colrich

Reaction score
@colrich
Welcome to the forum……Like the members above have said, Ceylon is a very desirable color, specially if its a CSL as not many at all we’re produced in that color, let alone in the RHD version. Share some pics and info before we can recommend keeping it or not. Restoring a CSL to top condition is not a simple undertaking. How do you know it’s the original color? Do you have a BMW certificate stating that?
Either way, if you don’t like it you don’t! It definitely doesn’t compare to a Porsche 930 Turbo, that’s in a league of its own.

Keshav
Thanks for the replies, I never realised it was such a rare colour.
I say original paint as I have loads of invoices and paperwork dating back to 1978, so unless it was repainted before then I think it is.
Never thought that maybe thpaint had faded, I will post some pictures in the next few days.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well I love it also. My CS is Ceylon - pictured. I also have a Chaminox CSL. While I love all my children equally, some are more equal than others..
If your CSL is more or less original I'd try to keep it that way, right down to the factory paint, assuming that's what it is. If you follow the market the cars that are most sort after are either unmolested survivors or those with OEM correct restorations. I'm going to stop now and tap in @Keshav..

View attachment 132916
beautiful car and wonderful picture. i have been debating whether or not i put the air dam back on. that's another thing i am on the fence about. this pic gives me more reason to put it back on

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does anyone remember Joe Andriotti(sp)? He lived in North Jersey, a meticulous engineer and coupe builder. He brought his perfect, original Ceylon twice to our local car show in Buckingham, Bucks County. At the time of his death he was working on building the perfect Alfa my memory tells me.

It was the days of the CS Register and we helped his widow sell his coupe. A great guy.

dbower

Reaction score
I remember Joe. Andreaggi, I think. He brought his coupe to Road Atlanta, probably in the early 80's, where I saw it. That coupe is partly responsible for my current affliction. I've often wondered what happened to Joe and that car.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello and Happy new year, I have 2 E9 1st one is 1971 2800cs and soon restoration will be completed and 2nd one is a 1973 3.0csi and I am dreaming to have a CSL, now how about we exchange the car and I love Ceylon gold color, the 73 is Malaga color and 71 is a brand new navy blue color, this is a opportunity for you if you like one of this 2 color, and do not be a sad about the color look at the bright side you have a one rare Ceylon Gold CSL enjoy the perfect car.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i am in the 'i love ceylon' camp. when its right, its alive. i suspect that many had issues with oxidation like many of the other BMW metallic paints. that being said, i have seen so many repainted ceylon cars that were just wrong. most were too 'brown' of a gold. some were just interpretations, kind of like the porsche gold of the time, or the corvette gold, the mustang gold, the 442 gold ... all just wrong. the left pic is @ccr2002's original paint ceylon (outside). the next pic i my coupe's engine compartment (indoors). i think we got the color right. the fact is, ceylon is a polarizing color ... some love it, some hate it. but if its a brown gold ceylon like the 2002 below, i hate it.

the next pic is the porsche gold ... and then the 2002 that is the 'brown gold' version, followed by a Werk Shop resto 2002 (notice the difference). then there is this mustang that was repainted, not the original ford color, a little more orange than ceylon.
I think you are right if you pick the right Ceylon Gold color and painted right it is one hell of a nice color