As per REUTERS

nyccsi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Vintage cars have risen 185% in value over the past decade, outstripping the growth of luxury rivals wine, watches and art, and ranking second only to rare whiskies, according to Knight Frank's 2023 wealth report.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting.
The rough numbers for an E9 I think are 30x the 1972 new car price for a really good condition car today.
A steel Rolex Daytona from that era has gone up 150x, but a nice gold Omega from the 50s has done maybe 10x.
The lesson is that the potential appreciation is great if you know what to pick. The famous notion that predictions are hard especially about the future...

Attachments

• omega - 1.jpeg
    omega - 1.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 73
  • rolex - 1.jpeg
    rolex - 1.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 70
  • daytona1 - 1.jpeg
    daytona1 - 1.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 75
  • rolls - 1.jpeg
    rolls - 1.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 63

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It’s all good, but it may be time to put your money where your whiskey is. ;)

Forbes reported just last December that the “benchmark index of rare whiskies” recorded a whopping 564% increase over the last decade.”

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How many times have we heard a story of, I had ( insert X collectable), wish I still had (whatever) it would be worth ( $$$) now.

Keep in mind rarity of something does not make it inherently valuable.
Example: The 1914 KisselKar 4-40 Touring my grandfather bought in 1959 is 1 of 2 in in existence. Very few people even know about them. There are reliable estimates that there are around only 250 Kissels left from 1906-1930.

The 1933 Packard Twelve Convertible Coupe Roadster which was a partial trade for the one off 1932 Packard Twin Six Dietrich Convertible Victoria he bought in 1963 for $4500 it's true value is now inestimable now owned by Chip Connors. Reliable estimated there are 256 1933 Packard Twelve Convertible Coupe Roadsters accounted for.

Watches are a similar sort of thing, Rolex & Patek Philipe are the two most popular. My 16550 Explorer II is an early Cream "rail dial" meaning the Superlative Chronometer type is centered on the space of Officially Certified. Bought it new when I was 17 & still in high school. I have a few more watches now yet they are not as rare.
IMG_0726.jpeg
IMG_3780.jpeg
Twin Six Automobile Quarterly.png
Twin Six Pebble Podium.jpeg
Explorer II 2.jpg