Are CSL's prices heading down ?

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This CSL has just sold at Auction. Was it Cheap ?

1973 BMW 3.0 CSL Coupe : Chassis No 2285342
LOT 94
1973 BMW 3.0 CSL COUPÉ
Registration no. UEC 154M Chassis no. 2285342

Sold for £ 67,500 (US$ 89,443) inc. premium

Bonhams MPH December Auction
11 Dec 2021, 15:00 GMT
Bicester, Bicester Heritage

Hi Rob

Some info on RHD CSL cars sold this year ie

67,500 sold a Bonhams … won’t pass mot the way it is

80/85k sold , good presentable car , with some history dating back over 25yrs ago ,

150k sold , with great history, well known car

180k sold , concourse car with great history , 2yr nut and sold resto on it, completed early this year

I would say prices for the RHD CSL are strong and prices reflect the condition of each car

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
CSLs have started to pick up again, if you consider latest Hegarty and BAT data. They are continuing to increase as are E9's in general.

Hence why people are willing to buy recent 'affordable' restoration project CSLs and put plenty of money into them.

A lovely RHD CSL went on sale in Australia two months ago for $270k (about USD $200k). Sold first week advertised.

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 11.52.01 am.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 11.53.31 am.png

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Mal

Any info on the RHD CSL sold in Australia recently Ie
Colour
Mileage
Any mods ?
Which number from the 500 ?

And any other info

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thxs for the link mal , very much appreciated,
So this CSL sold for roughly just over 150k GBP …???

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wow
270k AUS dollar means it sold for just over 150k GBP… roughly .. still a good price

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Based on what I can see (not much; only a few pics) I think there is a chance that it's cheap and the rust is acceptable to drive (safe, as is not loosing a rear axle when going over a speedbump). There's also a chance that it's going to be a hefty bill to make it drivable.

If I was in the market for a driver quality RHD CSL, on a tight budget I would feel happy. Big caveat: I have zero information on the status of the rockers and/or fenders. Imagine that you need to replace 4 corners and 2 sills, then alone in standard gauge, non CSL panels you're spending 12 Keuro for the corners and 2Keuro for the sills. and you'd have to get them on still; either in your own time, or pay someone to do it + Paint (20-25K in eastern Europe). If you would want to repair with CSL thin gauge panels, then I have no cost estimation, as I haven't seen any thin gauge fenders come up for sale publicly for the past 5 years or so.

Last edited:

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My 5 cents worth is CSL's in any state are thin on the ground in Aus. I also think there's a stand by list of those wanting them and most sell privately. I have people that want first go at mine. Curious on Sandhu's thoughts but suspect UK may be the same.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Wes

The demand is good for RHD csl cars, in any condition here in England, Europe and worldwide at the right price

We have buyers that are looking to buy ie

50k plus cars that are a total basket case of a car , that needs a full nut and bolt resto on it ,
allowing the new owner to build the car to their own personal spec

80/95k buys you a ok car , that can be used as a daily driver, with a MOT ,
But it won't win you a trophy at any classic car event and will need serous investment over the coming years to improve the car overall,

110/130k buys you a car that looks like a million dollars from 100 metres away, as you get closer , you see some of its faults, needs some investment still on it ie
Complete paint job , remove rust etc etc
Engine refresh or overhaul
Interior retrim etc etc
Suspension refresh etc etc

140/150k cars just need some investment, nothing major and are very good presentable cars, with great history
That you can enter into a classic car event and maybe win a trophy

170/200k are top top end show/concourse cars , that look like they have just come off bmw factory production line

This is my two pennies worth, with out prejudice !!!!

Rob F

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's good to know the trend for CSL prices are still reasonable strong. So I'll keep ploughing £'s into my restoration.!!!