Appropriate RPM for choke

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi, all. I just had some carb adjustment done by a local shop on my '73 E3 and now when I start the car when it's cold the engine revs up to 3000rpm. I immediately kick it down because I don't want the engine to rev so high when it's cold, but this makes me wonder: 1) what is the proper rpm for choke start; and 2) what is the proper way to use the choke -- do I kick it down after a minute, or just wait for it to warm up and go down itself? I recognize these are probably boring rookie questions, but thanks in advance for your guidance. BTW I did search the forum for answers before posting. Thanks.

AG

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fast idle speed should be 1900 +- 100 rpm.

Procedure before starting cold is to press pedal to floor once to engage cold start mechanism. Start engine, should idle at above rpm. Once warm a quick blip of pedal will bring it down to normal.

3000 rpm is way too high.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And you can blip it down sooner, as long as it continues to idle. We have all been told not to let car sit and idle, drive off slowly to let it warm up.

EJ333

Reaction score
To piggyback on this thread, once the engine is warmed up on my '71 coupe, how do I adjust idle down to around 1,000 ? It seems to like to stay at 1,500.