Anyone run style-5 wheels on their E3?

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Thanks. What have happened to your fenders there?

Several years ago I spun the car out on a tight turn and both front tires were pulled loose from the rims, causing some damage to the fenders. To add to the mix, I had some Style 29 16x7 et20's with 225/55/16 tires that would rub right at the top if you were turning hard and hit a bump, like pulling into a driveway. I'm going to roll the fenders before going in for paint this year. Never had any rubbing issues with the 235's, even in the rough roads of some parts of Mexico.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
a lot of your fitment is really going to depend on the offests. Like Mike said, et27 didnt fit without a spacer.
I prefer to have my sidewalls pretty much straight, so on an 8 in rim- i would run 205 or 215 size tires. 235 is only an 1.25" wider though. (8 inches is 203mm)

E3AV

Reaction score
A 8 inch wide rim isnt 8 inch from the outer edge to the inner.
The measurement of a rim is done from inside the rim lip both in diameter and width. Its where the inner edge of the tire rests.
So a 8 inch wide rim could actually be 8.5 to 9 inches measured between the outer edges.
So in theory a 225 tire would give the most straight edge and 205 or 215 would give a slight stretch
Most 205 tires is also recomended for a max rim width of 7.5 inches.
Then again the perception of what a straight edge is also depend on profile and manufacturer of the tire.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
The autocrossers that I know run 205s on 16x8 because it's a very stable contact patch. That way they can change psi based on conditions without scrubbing.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have 205’s on my 16x8. Given that there is zero need to have stretched tires on a rear 8” wheel, I think they look stupid. Several people keep saying that 205 gives you a straight sidewall but that isn’t the case:

This is at 36 psi!
8f5f8b8eb2cd263a078711e4edf51357.jpg

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are those hayashi fin wheels?
I had a set of 4x100 years ago, I had a guy stop me at a traffic light and buy them off my car. Lol
(I had to go home and put my spare set on)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are those hayashi fin wheels?
I had a set of 4x100 years ago, I had a guy stop me at a traffic light and buy them off my car. Lol
(I had to go home and put my spare set on)

Ha! Sounds like something I would do. :D They are Weds Bavarias, which are also referred to as Fins or Albinos. Weds, Hayashi, Enkei, all make sets that are very similar. So far I've only had Japanese wheels on my car. :D

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Looks great! I really like the clean sides on these models - no side trim or lights. Is that a single carburetor setup?

E3AV

Reaction score
Yes thats correct. It’s a solex 4A1.
Both engine and carb is from an E12 528. Fitted by previous owner.
Runs ok. I’ve heard most negative things about the 4A1, but I havent had any issues so far besides a defective tn-starter.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Yes thats correct. It’s a solex 4A1.
Both engine and carb is from an E12 528. Fitted by previous owner.
Runs ok. I’ve heard most negative things about the 4A1, but I havent had any issues so far besides a defective tn-starter.

I have a 4-bbl manifold for my Bav with the stock Solex - thinking about adapting a Q-jet as I have several of those. That will complete my carburetor cycle. I started out with stock Zeniths, switched to Weber 32/36's, on to Weber 38/38's then possibly a single 4-bbl. I also have a triple Dellorto setup but that's looking less and less likely...

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I will be swapping to Style 5's that I got from Markos on the Bav because the Coupe King Alpinas I am currently running on the Bav are for my yet unfinished (actually un-started) Coupe...because 17" Style 5's look great on a Bav!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm also considering these wheels off of an '89 750i. I think they work (look good) on an E3 although they're only 15" and I'd prefer 16". Has anyone ever seen these on an E3?

5a22540ec007431737f64bf682293465.jpg

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
^ I thnk they'd look cool, but you're going to have issues with 15 inch tires, availability is dropping and prices going up..
also, take a look at the offset for those wheels, I'm sure they'd be fine at 15x6 but any wider and you may need small spacers