Antenna placement

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the US there no factory location, it was up to the dealer. I have seen left and right front fender, driver A pillar and rear fenders if electric.
Smart dealers put the Hirschmann power antenna on the rear fenders where the mechanism was protected from the elements. This also prevented another rust point.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
most 2002/tii’s had pillar mount Bosch Antennas
This is exactly how my 2 owner 2002 came when I got it. My E3’s all had a manual antenna on the driver front fender, which I tend to think was std dealer process. This was a terrible location, in the way when cleaning the window (or broken off by the guerrilla windowshield washers in Manhattan). All things being equal an external antenna is always better due to not being ocludded behind metal and metalized window tint. Modern cars get it to work with it via diversity tuners

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Smart dealers put the Hirschmann power antenna on the rear fenders where the mechanism was protected from the elements. This also prevented another rust point.
Left rear is the better spot so it doesn’t interfere with the tool caddy

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I hate to admit this, but when I worked at a BMW dealership (a decade or so after our first coupes came through, we did a variety of dealer installations on contemporary cars. But there was no science to it. We drilled holes in doors, fenders, quarte panels - almost haphazardly. Sorry to share this, but it was like the wild west as I look back on it. I am ashamed and embarrassed by some of the work I was responsible for. Frankly, I don't even think the manufacturer was dead accurate with many of their own details, but once it was in the hands of US porters, it was absolute chaos.

Matt McCall

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the US they were installed by the dealer after the customer chose the radio brand and speakers. Usually front driver’s fender as that is what is shown in the Becker instructions. But they often show up on the driver’s side rear quarter panel, especially in Europe. In sum, there is no definitive correct location.
Steve,
Thanks. Was it any different on the euro models?

Matt McCall

Site Donor
Reaction score
I hate to admit this, but when I worked at a BMW dealership (a decade or so after our first coupes came through, we did a variety of dealer installations on contemporary cars. But there was no science to it. We drilled holes in doors, fenders, quarte panels - almost haphazardly. Sorry to share this, but it was like the wild west as I look back on it. I am ashamed and embarrassed by some of the work I was responsible for. Frankly, I don't even think the manufacturer was dead accurate with many of their own details, but once it was in the hands of US porters, it was absolute chaos.
You are forgiven! Go ye and drill no more.

m73

Reaction score
This might help --
or4.jpg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
73 euro.......no antenna at all, one loose in the trunk upon purchase. Thus my choice of amplified antenna behind the glove box.
Bavaria....actually with a sideways mount on my driver a-pillar so parallels the pillar and not in my visual field.

Matt McCall

Site Donor
Reaction score
Radios were dealer installed and bmw supplied the dealers with a list of “approved” radios. Antenna placement was anyones guess, most common was either front fender though it is a tight area for a power unit and also very susceptible to moisture and dirt. My personal favorite spot is the left rear fender. It is out of the way and looks sporty.
Does anyone have a list of the approved radios for the Euro 72?

m73

Reaction score
I should mention that photo is for a 'Manual' antenna -- for the 'PWR' the rear would be obvious depending if you want in sight or not (driver vs. passenger side)

Best of luck with it,

-M

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of the approved radios for the Euro 72?
Would propose anything German though the sky could be the limit. Visually saw a Clarion in a Eurocar which the owner stressed came with the car when purchased. IMHO, don’t think Clarion existed outside of The USA until well into the ‘80’s. Subaru back then cornered the market. Worked for SOA back then, briefly.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
my coupe had the antenna mounted on the front right of the windshield. it was a problematic location as you couldn't push the antenna all the way down. i had it filled in and will be using a 'hidden' antenna. the fewer holes the better
I want to do the same on my 635. There are a bunch for sale on Ebay, but they are priced so low it makes me wonder about quality and effectiveness. Maybe post what you come up with? I think one thing to consider is if they are amplified or not. Some appear to need a power line to them which makes me think that should be in the mix. I am thinking to mount mine in the lower right corner of my rear windshield (window)

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Radios were dealer installed and bmw supplied the dealers with a list of “approved” radios. Antenna placement was anyones guess, most common was either front fender though it is a tight area for a power unit and also very susceptible to moisture and dirt. My personal favorite spot is the left rear fender. It is out of the way and looks sporty.
Can attest to the moisture issues. My ‘74 E3(3.0S) had a power antennae on left fender about 2-3 inches from the windscreen. A couple of testy Winters at College in WI did in the motor. You’re correct about the placement. Debated relocating to either quarter panel. Luckily, replacement Hirschman motors were available. Used Blaupunkt 8Track(Trash!) for entertainment while no signal.

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I want to do the same on my 635. There are a bunch for sale on Ebay, but they are priced so low it makes me wonder about quality and effectiveness. Maybe post what you come up with? I think one thing to consider is if they are amplified or not. Some appear to need a power line to them which makes me think that should be in the mix. I am thinking to mount mine in the lower right corner of my rear windshield (window)
Am curious. Did your 635 come without an audio system? Otherwise, a relocation? A power amp for better reception is a great idea. Not sure if The Hirschman Power Antennae came with an amp? Most of the ‘Benzes I encountered while working at a MB/BMW Dealer(IMHO, Best of both Worlds) in the mid-‘70’s(yeah, I was a job drifter) had power Hirschman Antennae. Never came up with a reception question, we were located within The Chicago Metroplex. Early ‘Benzes had a height adjusting switch which could assist reception coupled with hi-spec Becker Radios. All 116/107 models had rear quarter locations. All else was a fender mount.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Am curious. Did your 635 come without an audio system? Otherwise, a relocation? A power amp for better reception is a great idea. Not sure if The Hirschman Power Antennae came with an amp? Most of the ‘Benzes I encountered while working at a MB/BMW Dealer(IMHO, Best of both Worlds) in the mid-‘70’s(yeah, I was a job drifter) had power Hirschman Antennae. Never came up with a reception question, we were located within The Chicago Metroplex. Early ‘Benzes had a height adjusting switch which could assist reception coupled with hi-spec Becker Radios. All 116/107 models had rear quarter locations. All else was a fender mount.
My 635 had a Sony radio/ cassette player when I got it and appears to have always had a radio. The Hirschman was mounted on the left front fender but we filled that hole. So, as to a rear mount. My car is a Euro and on the right rear side has what I call a "fume" catcher and I don't have much room around that. On the left rear the jack is mounted and I possibly, just maybe, could mount it there. I had a Hirschman totally rebuilt and hate to not use it, but I also hate to drill a hole unless that is last chance. I am not an audiophile, but if I have to I will put in an amp, and just want music or an occasional book on tape.. The head unit I will use is a vintage Nakomichi CD player that I found box new on CL. Aside from quality, the Nak has the ability to change display colors allowing me to get the light in orange. I am using 6" speakers with tweeters in the front, and, I think, 8" in the rear. The rears are mounted behind the "shelf" under the fronts of the rear seats. I did have to grind out the footwell holes as the new speakers had bigger magnets. I also used heavy duty wire to the speakers. So, as I am focused with getting everything mechanical to a point where I can drive it without being paranoid, I will install it, but that is not a priority. But after 15 years, it is at least drivable, sans hood and cosmetic stuff that remains to be done. Oh, and I wanted to use the original speaker grilles in the front, I had a plastic shop make me a spacer, that totally appears as original, so they would clear the tweets as they stuck further out than the originals . I haven't put in my hood release yet and if it doesn't clear the speaker grille, I will do some cutting and welding to provide an offset. The 15 years caused a lot of crap at home as I told "she whose name must not be mentioned", it would be 2.

Last edited:

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 635 had a Sony radio/ cassette player when I got it and appears to have always had a radio. The Hirschman was mounted on the left front fender but we filled that hole. So, as to a rear mount. My car is a Euro and on the right rear side has what I call a "fume" catcher and I don't have much room around that. On the left rear the jack is mounted and I possibly, just maybe, could mount it there. I had a Hirschman totally rebuilt and hate to not use it, but I also hate to drill a hole unless that is last chance. I am not an audiophile, but if I have to I will put in an amp, and just want music or an occasional book on tape.. The head unit I will use is a vintage Nakomichi CD player that I found box new on CL. Aside from quality, the Nak has the ability to change display colors allowing me to get the light in orange. I am using 6" speakers with tweeters in the front, and, I think, 8" in the rear. The rears are mounted behind the "shelf" under the fronts of the rear seats. I did have to grind out the footwell holes as the new speakers had bigger magnets. I also used heavy duty wire to the speakers. So, as I am focused with getting everything mechanical to a point where I can drive it without being paranoid, I will install it, but that is not a priority. But after 15 years, it is at least drivable, sans hood and cosmetic stuff that remains to be done. Oh, and I wanted to use the original speaker grilles in the front, I had a plastic shop make me a spacer, that totally appears as original, so they would clear the tweets as they stuck further out than the originals . I haven't put in my hood release yet and if it doesn't clear the speaker grille, I will do some cutting and welding to provide an offset. The 15 years caused a lot of crap at home as I told "she whose name must not be mentioned", it would be 2.
My goodness, you’ve been quite busy. I would propose that if you currently reside in a metroplex that you go with a hidden antenna. Won’t take up room or require drilling(my least favorite subject. Measure 15X, cut once). There are all sorts of options out there. Only mention the hidden application unless you do a lot of spirited driving out in the Boonies. Glad you got the 635 vs. the 630. The M30 needed refreshening, which it did eventually. When the 630 came out, it was so lethargic. Sales bottomed out for good reason. Luckily for you, the 633/635 came out with vastly improved engines. You’ll be happy to know I have a “transplant“ 3.5liter engine in my E9. Just the right fix for a 3300+ pound car. Good Luck with your project!