Antenna placement

Matt McCall

Site Donor
Reaction score
Antenna placement
Dear friends as I’ve looked at a lot of different photographs of different cars which have been restored the antenna I am confused about where the proper place to put an automatic antenna is. Please help me which quarter panel gets it?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In the US they were installed by the dealer after the customer chose the radio brand and speakers. Usually front driver’s fender as that is what is shown in the Becker instructions. But they often show up on the driver’s side rear quarter panel, especially in Europe. In sum, there is no definitive correct location.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my coupe had the antenna mounted on the front right of the windshield. it was a problematic location as you couldn't push the antenna all the way down. i had it filled in and will be using a 'hidden' antenna. the fewer holes the better

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The factory location for the antenna is in the front left fender. See pic…..
476090E6-B05D-4674-9313-241F024881FD.jpeg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Use a hidden antenna, find the sweet spot behind the glovebox. Since the antenna site is variable there is no "keep it original" issue. Clean lines and the best aspect is that the car cover does not get caught on the antenna.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The factory location for the antenna is in the front left fender. See pic….. View attachment 146616
Gotta love a NOS fender,... on the beach. :D

By the way, my car had an antenna in this spot, and had the additional layer of sheet metal with they hole just like this fender. I will be omitting the hole and patching the fender.

Last edited:

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
my coupe had the antenna mounted on the front right of the windshield. it was a problematic location as you couldn't push the antenna all the way down. i had it filled in and will be using a 'hidden' antenna. the fewer holes the better

Same here.

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
SenT both pics of my E3 and E9. As you can see, both antennas are on the driver’s side. Either the left front fender or left rear quarter panel. Strangely, my previous E3 from ‘74(3.0S) a power antennae was installed on the left front fender from the factory. Part of a luxury feature with a Becker Grand Prix Signal Seeking AM/FM Stereo Radio. Agree, most E9’s I saw at the BMW Dealership I worked at during Summers while at College had dealer installed systems. Manual antennae was pre-supplied. A lot of folks upgraded to very expensive power Hirschmans, usually $250 + labor.

Attachments

• F125C48D-9181-4039-8154-0EC8D60C5EA8.jpeg
    F125C48D-9181-4039-8154-0EC8D60C5EA8.jpeg
    463.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 81FAC5FB-35F2-4F9C-84E2-2342E0BC9B95.jpeg
    81FAC5FB-35F2-4F9C-84E2-2342E0BC9B95.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 56

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In the US there no factory location, it was up to the dealer. I have seen left and right front fender, driver A pillar and rear fenders if electric.

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In the US there no factory location, it was up to the dealer. I have seen left and right front fender, driver A pillar and rear fenders if electric.
Really? Wonder how I didn’t see it getting done at the dealer where I worked. Think I would’ve seen it since I worked as a porter in service. Hmmmm, well guess I’m not too old to learn something. Did recall most 2002/tii’s had pillar mount Bosch Antennas mostly on the driver side if alone in car and possibly adjust while in the car at a stand still. I couldn’t reach in my tii.

Would it be possible that “port installed” ‘stuff was done like the above during the early ‘70’s?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They also used Hirschman i think. Since radio and antenna were options not on the window sticker they would add a small addendum. OCCoupe knows someone who worked at Carver in Newport and can confirm if the a/c was installed at the port or dealer as parts were packaged in the trunk for install in the US.

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Geez Chris,
You are a plethora of trivia information about Bimmers/E9. Certainly worthy of a Moderator. Thanks, Hugh

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Radios were dealer installed and bmw supplied the dealers with a list of “approved” radios. Antenna placement was anyones guess, most common was either front fender though it is a tight area for a power unit and also very susceptible to moisture and dirt. My personal favorite spot is the left rear fender. It is out of the way and looks sporty.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
well Chris there are exceptions to every rule, you are just more correct on more issues than the great majority here.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Use a hidden antenna, find the sweet spot behind the glovebox. Since the antenna site is variable there is no "keep it original" issue. Clean lines and the best aspect is that the car cover does not get caught on the antenna.
I bought the recommended hidden antenna from Chrome London in the UK to match up with their blue tooth Becker Monza radio. Not only was the antenna hidden up under the steering wheel column, but all of the AM stations and all but one of the FM stations were hidden also. So now we are trying a regular metal antenna mounted transversely up under the rear hat shelf. To be continued....

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just heard from my friend David Schwartz who as a youngster worked for a dealer on the east coast. He installed a/c, radios and antennas on coupes and 2002s.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drew, perhaps the tunes of the 30's and 40's are just not that clear.
Seriously, it depends on where you are. Near a major city as I am, I get everything I get on my daily driver. Totally get that it is not for everyone.