Another Thunderhill 3-mile track day in the 3.0cs... improved my lap times quite a bit

sreams

Reaction score
I thought you all might enjoy this

I've driven this track several times over the last 12 years. Early on in a lightly modified Volvo 1800S, and for the past several years in the e9, and I've settled in on a pretty consistent speed. In the Volvo I was getting around the track in 2:37, and in the 3.0cs, 2:35. I decided this time I would push myself a bit more in the braking zones and corners. I was able to shave 8 seconds off of my previous best lap, and did it pretty consistently throughout the day. Went from 2:35 to 2:27 with the exact same car and configuration. Felt good!

Currently the car has the following:

M30B35 with Weber 32/36 carbs (want 38s at some point) & 2.5-inch exhaust
Carl Nelson springs and Bilstein shocks
ST Swaybars
K-Mac adjustable camber plates (about -1.5 degrees camber in front)
17x8 style 42 RS740 wheels with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
that's what i thought ... your box/diff is to large for that track. With a dogleg you can find another few secondes ... :D
i see you get to a good 100 mph... that's about the max speed of my rally E9... ( 115 mph into 5 th gear )

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
great to see someone race their E9 !
@sreams , is your car stock or lighter by removing things ? What gearbox ?

Barry, this is a "track day" where you get to go out and drive a race track as you like, but often with restricted passing zones. Not racing unless you count the old SCCA pro solo that was based on timed track laps without the wheel-to-wheel aspect. Well driven E9. I'm not sure I'd have the guts to do it this fast in a street prepared car.

Last edited:

sreams

Reaction score
If this is racing, where's everyone else in your session? I think this is what we call a "track day" where you get to go out and drive a race track as you like, but often with restricted passing and no trophies. Nice lap, good driving, car sounds great!

Yep. That's why the title of the thread says "track day". ;) This video is from later in the day when most people had left. It allowed to get some good clean laps in.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
yeah , i know track days.... we have them frequently here in Zolder and Spa Francorchamps .... i call it "racing" when you measure your lap time and want to improve it.... even if you not race against others... here , there are always duels ...you find a "similar" car and go... dangerous if enthousiasme gets involved.
Last track day here 3 cars were wrecked....

I have done it a few times , but not my "thing".... after 5 laps it gets me boring :D

shanon

Reaction score
Was wondering if you were gonna go out last week. Nicely done! ;)

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
How’d the brakes hold up? I could easily fade the brakes in my 2800cs in the mountains. I’m sure if I pushed on the track I’d have brakes for a lap or two at most.

Dohn

Reaction score
Wow, that is a horsepower track! Lots of long sweepers leading to straights. Probably not too hard on brakes compared to Sears Point or Laguna Seca. Nice lines, and great sound! Congrats on finding some time out there...

sreams

Reaction score
How’d the brakes hold up? I could easily fade the brakes in my 2800cs in the mountains. I’m sure if I pushed on the track I’d have brakes for a lap or two at most.

Just fine. Semi-metallic pads and higher-temp fluid are musts. I made the mistake of running organic pads on my '72 2002 at Laguna Seca once. Put them on brand new at the beginning of the day. Totally gone by the end of the day. I have no trouble at Thunderhill and Laguna Seca with semi-metallic pads.