Another 73 - 74 wiring question.

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm doing a trial fit on the wiring loom in the engine bay, it's it was registered new in the UK in 1974, a CSA. I have a put a manual gearbox in and triple webers.
I've looked on here and can't find the answers, there seems to be many 74 wiring diagrams that are different and I can't find one that works for mine.
It's a barn find that a restoration was started on many years ago and the wiring was stripped out when I got the car, labels had been tied on some connectors but in pencil so has just disappeared.
I'm going to start at the end of the loom that goes across the front of the engine bay to the drivers side lighting/coil area but there are other sections I'll need help with. The loom has been opened up before so someone has been in before for some reason.

First photo is of wires at the end of the loom, behind the headlights or in the engine bay.

DSCN6892.JPG
DSCN6893 (1).JPG
DSCN6894 (1).JPG
DSCN6896.JPG
DSCN6901 (1).JPG
DSCN6896.JPG
DSCN6959.JPG
DSCN6897.JPG

I'm OK with the headlight connectors and indicator wire, need help with the others, the wiring part of the restoration is not my strong point and don't want to connect wires up and melt them when I put the battery on.

Thanks, John.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fun fun fun

brown/white on a 74 should be aux fan temp relay input wire.
black/white should be AC relay circuit.
black/white should be fan relay

2A12D80D-8E3A-4B2F-81BF-F27A5911AE2F.jpeg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is your coupe a facelift series II which would make it a true 74? The Blue Book has a 74 wiring diagram that should work,

Black/red (pic 3) could be the emissions wires to the coil and relay beneath the coil if euro coupes had the dashpots on the firewall. The large red wire (pic 2)mthere on a US coupe could go to the A/C fan in front of radiator. Yellow is lo beam, white is high beam for headlights. I think the green/yellow (pic 7/8) next to the brown is the horn with a set for each side.

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, that's a quick response,

There is no air con.

What makes it a facelift series 11 model ?

There are no dashpots.

Maybe that's why I was struggling so much if there are wires that are not in use.

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
Registration Doc says 22321138 with matching engine number, first registered in UK, 14th February 1974.

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the third photo, two wires connected to a single spade, one black, one black and would you say it's a red or brown tracer ? Looks brown but not sure if there is a black/brown wire used.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Registration Doc says 22321138 with matching engine number, first registered in UK, 14th February 1974.
Your coupe was built in 72, you need to follow that diagram.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
John I have a facelift series two Dec 1973 built csi, so a little different. But if you want to take a look, via WatsAp video or In person when allowed just drop me a line.

Johan_CS2800

Site Donor
Reaction score
The colours of the wires are not so clear to see. Maybe you should clean them up first? ;)
With a rag an a bit of acetone they will clear up and get more flexible.

A few cautious asumptions, based on the diagram below:

picture 1:
brown/white: oil pressure switch (no. 18 on the diagram)​
green/white: thermo switch (no. 156)​
picture 5:
brown/blue: turn signals left (13)​
picture 7:
yellow/green and brown cables: horns (no. 8)​
brown and white/pink?: beams (no. 4 or 11)​
double black/red: coil (no. 27)​
black/red and green: primary resistor (no. 149)​

Again, be careful with this, these are just assumptions...
Hope this diagram helps.
You can find some other diagrams over here: https://e9coupe.com/forum/media/categories/chassis-electrical.49/

Haynes-wiring diagram-UK-pre73-LoRes2.jpg

jpg10

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi John,

Sorry missed this as been away from the site for a while.

If you still need to check anything over, mines a UK March 73 CSA and its stored at a garage in Hebden Bridge at the moment. I'm planning to go over to take photos as I've been planning to get some work done. Do you want me to take photos or you can come over and explore it yourself if that would help?

Message me and let me know,

Cheers,

James

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi James,

James thanks for your kind offer, I may have to take you up on that. Having established my car is a 72 and not a 74 I think I am now working from the right diagram so just working my way through the wires but not getting much time on it at the moment, and when I'm at my unit it's so cold I can only be there for a bit before my feet feel like blocks of ice. I know other parts of the world are much colder but as I'm getting older I must be getting softer.

jpg10

Site Donor $
Reaction score
No worries, I'll ring them tomorrow as I need to arrange something with them for the family fun bus. I think I have your number somewhere so will give you a ring tomorrow also to sort out when you're free. I know I have a Prospero's Garage wiring diagram somewhere and I think I know where it is so will dig that out to see if that will help also.

You're not getting softer, you're just reprioritising something else :)

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi James, Just hold fire for now thanks, if I don't figure it out myself soon I'll be in touch for help.

Cheers.