Ambient Temperature Gauge???

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
Was looking through some photos of an E9 for sale and came across an odd looking device that is between the dash speaker and the temp controls.

The owner says it's an "ambient temperature gauge" and he says it is stock for the car.

I have never seen or heard of this before.

Was this an option on '74 US spec 3.0's?

I will see if I can post a photo to clarify.

Thanks,

Cad

Attachments

• tempgauge.jpg
    tempgauge.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
That's what "I" thought because I had never seen one in an E9 before, never seen one in a accessories brochure, etc.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Cad

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I'll bet it's a NightRider light show with LEDs that blink back and forth - just like Daivd Hasselhof's famous Kit car! I wonder if it makes the woo-woo sound too?

You may not believe me but I actually made something like this for my E3 back in the 70's and I put it in the "Seat Belt Warning" display (which I had no use for). It had a shifting LED pattern that was triggered by hand wound coil around the #1 spark plug wire. It's amazing what a bored and immature EE student will do with free time. It was pretty cool though and my friends loved it.

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
I know, I know...

At first, I couldn't figure out WHAT it was so I asked him and he said it was a "stock ambient temperature gauge" and I told him I didn't think there was such a stock item and I had never heard nor seen anything similar in all the ones I have seen in person and in photos and he still said he thought it was so I figured, before I stuck my foot in my mouth, I would ask to make sure I wasn't missing some odd one year only Max Hoffman freebie item.

Confirmation is always a good thing.

Last edited: