Advice for Non-AC center console needed

corsachili

Reaction score
As you may recall I'm in the process of taking my CSL back to stock appearance. Part of this includes a non-AC center console. While I know some CSLs did come with AC, and even though I love the idea, I just know I was never going to get around to doing all the work necessary for AC. So I removed the AC components and am installing a non-AC console, which is what my CSL originally had. It will be nice to have the space for a wallet, glasses and cell phone as there is precious little space for such items in an E9.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone who has recently removed or reinstalled a non-AC console can answer. Here goes:

-There are two metal straps that screw to the inside of each side piece and also to the transmission hump. There are rubber grommets in each hole. One strap is held on to the transmission hump with one screw, and the other with two. Does anyone know if there is a spacer between the transmission hump and the strap? If I screw the strap directly to the transmission hump the console is too low. In other words, it does not sit up high enough so that the top pieces fit properly in the notches in the dash.

RealOEM does not show a detailed view of this area and I don't believe my blue books do either.

Thanks for listening!

-tj in Los Gatos

corsachili

Reaction score
As you may recall I'm in the process of taking my CSL back to stock appearance. Part of this includes a non-AC center console. While I know some CSLs did come with AC, and even though I love the idea, I just know I was never going to get around to doing all the work necessary for AC. So I removed the AC components and am installing a non-AC console, which is what my CSL originally had. It will be nice to have the space for a wallet, glasses and cell phone as there is precious little space for such items in an E9.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone who has recently removed or reinstalled a non-AC console can answer. Here goes:

-There are two metal straps that screw to the inside of each side piece and also to the transmission hump. There are rubber grommets in each hole. One strap is held on to the transmission hump with one screw, and the other with two. Does anyone know if there is a spacer between the transmission hump and the strap? If I screw the strap directly to the transmission hump the console is too low. In other words, it does not sit up high enough so that the top pieces fit properly in the notches in the dash.

RealOEM does not show a detailed view of this area and I don't believe my blue books do either.

Thanks for listening!

-tj in Los Gatos

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Strap for console

hello

Simple question , but if I remember the shape of the straps are like a"U".
so there is 2 possible postionnings.
did you try both ???
As far as I remember, there are no spacer, just foam under the wood panel.
Let me know.
chris.

2264207 '73 csi.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Strap for console

hello

Simple question , but if I remember the shape of the straps are like a"U".
so there is 2 possible postionnings.
did you try both ???
As far as I remember, there are no spacer, just foam under the wood panel.
Let me know.
chris.

2264207 '73 csi.

corsachili

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Not sure what you mean by two positionings. The straps will only mount one way, which is with the ears facing down. I suspect that there was some insulation and carpet on top of the transmission tunnel, and that is what made up the difference.

-tj in Los Gatos

corsachili

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Not sure what you mean by two positionings. The straps will only mount one way, which is with the ears facing down. I suspect that there was some insulation and carpet on top of the transmission tunnel, and that is what made up the difference.

-tj in Los Gatos

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hi again !

I was thinking ears up exactly. On the other hand , if I remember, don't you have screws fitting the sides on the heater air grilles exhaust ?
This could position the sides ,vertically speaking.
Let me know.
chris.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hi again !

I was thinking ears up exactly. On the other hand , if I remember, don't you have screws fitting the sides on the heater air grilles exhaust ?
This could position the sides ,vertically speaking.
Let me know.
chris.