AC switch and capillary tube

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Broke mine when removing the vent faceplate. I know they are NLA so am wondering if anyone has a spare? Will post in the parts thread as well but figured i'd start here.

Tundra

Reaction score

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Replacement has a SAE thread, chrome nuts are not available that I can determine, it's a Very Fine thread too.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Trying to fix a capillary tube is like trying to fix a light bulb... ;-)

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
The PO had cut the capillary on our E9 thermostat so I have had to find a replacement. The OEM BMW is too large as others have stated.
The one posted above in 2015 doesn't show up on ebay. There may be another post with more info but I haven't found it.
I ended up ordering this one on Amazon (UAC SW6490C) for less than $10 with a 36 inch capillary. The threads are 3/8 inch so it fits thru the hole.
The thread major diameter on the old stat is 0.390 and I can not identify the thread with my taps and thread gauges. The round chrome nut I have will thread onto the new one just a little loose. I believe I can make it work. I did have to sand down the shaft a little so the original knob will fit.

Attachments

• Thermostat UAC SW6490C.jpg
    Thermostat UAC SW6490C.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 97

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
These are pretty generic, I bought the same one you bought about 4 years ago. It works fine.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
These are pretty generic, I bought the same one you bought about 4 years ago. It works fine.
Thanks, that is good to hear. I started to slide it in today but the end of the capillary is slightly larger so I need to open up the end of the tube going into the evap. Of course that isn't very easy to get to.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's some but hole may need to be enlarged.

Many other useful parts here as well.
Gary, I have one on order from Nostalgic but I don’t want to increase mounting hole size. I was thinking I might shave it down and re-thread it. I should have it early next week.
thx, Dan

Last edited:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
IIRC I was able to re-thread the shaft well enough to use the chrome plated nut. Or maybe it was the nut I re-threaded. Senior moment. It was 3 years ago.