A/C article in Roundel

Bwana

Reaction score
I'm getting my "new to you" '72 CSi delivered this afternoon. HOORAY!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

As part of the conversion to a "southern" car, I'm planning to install an A/C unit from ICE. Apparently there was an article in Roundel a couple of years back by Rob ????? explaining exactly how to do this. I have the compressor, mounts, and condenser already but still need the evaporator and interior controls.

Does anybody have a copy of the article? Or a way to contact the original author? I suppose there are copyright issues with posting it here but I've had luck on other forums with articles that were .pdf'ed and PM'ed.

texcarguy

Reaction score
A/C

For what it's worth, I abandoned my plans for a stock evaporator, due to the tiny space allocated to it. After talking with other owners and their descriptions of anemic performance, I had concerns that such a system could hold up in Texas summer heat. Instead, I'm going with a trunk-mount evaporator setup. The system I've chosen comes from a group in N. Texas called www.OldAir.com (no connection nor endorsement, but I HAVE had excellent results with an earlier vintage Corvette system from them). Their unit consists of TWO evaporators and TWO blower fans. Doesn't take up a lot of trunk space under the parcel tray, and there are just a couple of low-profile vents that direct the air forward. I'm convinced with the small cabin this will ultimately provide more cool air, and be much easier to install.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I know the article you are talking about. I swapped emails many moons ago with the author of the article. For the life of me, I cannot recall his name at the moment, but as far as I know, he is still writing for the Roundel, under the moniker "The hack mechanic". I have, unfortunately, lost these emails due to my GaTech email being deactivated.

As I recall, the gist of our discussion was that the stock system is a poor performer due it it being bootstrapped to the existing heater system. The system would have vastly superior performance if the secondary blower system wasn't needed. Also, the interior bits for an AC conversion are the most expensive parts, as you effectively need an AC center stack complete. Even more unfortunately, there are many plastic parts in this setup, most of which are now extremely brittle. This includes the primary ducting interface piece with the output vents.

When I first got my car, it had a keg-sized unit in the back. We never got it to work, and the wiring damage the installer caused was enough to turn me off it. I will say that even in Atlanta, in August, the car is surprisingly cool. (the engine temp, that is another issue entirely)

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
That'd be Rob Siegel "The Hack Mechanic",

try contacting him via heathert(AT)bmwcca(dot)org

Bwana

Reaction score
Outstanding information, thanks to all. I've seen a trunk mounted system in a Datsun Roadster (I've got a restored '69) but didn't like it much. And yes, I understand the BMW A/C is pretty poor. Maybe with some modern engineering I can come up with a system that works well. Will keep you posted.

Looks like a couple of us are in the same general neighborhood, maybe when I get mine running properly we can do a Hill Country Wine Tasting Tour?

BTW, my car did arrive yesterday and I'm over the moon with it! :-D It is a 1972 3.0 CSi, imported from Italy sometime in the '90's. It has 64,000 kM on it and NO RUST that I can find!!!! I think the Italian guy only took it out on weekends and the guy in Seattle who had it only drove it when it wasn't raining. Looks to be in excellent shape with some minor paint bubbles, most likely from poor prep work on the re-spray. Hope I don't find anything else.

JhwShark

Reaction score
And yes, I understand the BMW A/C is pretty poor. Maybe with some modern engineering I can come up with a system that works well. Will keep you posted.

Looks to be in excellent shape with some minor paint bubbles, most likely from poor prep work on the re-spray. Hope I don't find anything else.
Congrat's on the ride, enjoy?
I hope you can get the chill you want.
BTW, where are the paint bubbles??

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Outstanding information, thanks to all. I've seen a trunk mounted system in a Datsun Roadster (I've got a restored '69) but didn't like it much. And yes, I understand the BMW A/C is pretty poor. Maybe with some modern engineering I can come up with a system that works well. Will keep you posted.

Looks like a couple of us are in the same general neighborhood, maybe when I get mine running properly we can do a Hill Country Wine Tasting Tour?

BTW, my car did arrive yesterday and I'm over the moon with it! :-D It is a 1972 3.0 CSi, imported from Italy sometime in the '90's. It has 64,000 kM on it and NO RUST that I can find!!!! I think the Italian guy only took it out on weekends and the guy in Seattle who had it only drove it when it wasn't raining. Looks to be in excellent shape with some minor paint bubbles, most likely from poor prep work on the re-spray. Hope I don't find anything else.

Based on my understanding, the best way to improve the stock system (without re-designing it) was to use a larger puller fan, switch to a newer rotary compressor, make sure all the interior bits are clean, and switch to a higher-rated alt to support the fan. This apparently makes it about as powerful as an asthmatic cat, rather than an asthmatic mouse.

m_thompson

Reaction score
BTW, my car did arrive yesterday and I'm over the moon with it! :-D It is a 1972 3.0 CSi, imported from Italy sometime in the '90's. It has 64,000 kM on it and NO RUST that I can find!!!!

If you want to find the rust stick your hand into the front wheel wells. Behind the wheel and above it is a vertical metal plate that goes from the strut mount to the firewall. There is a triangular opening in the plate just in front of the firewall. Stick you hand into the triangular opening and pull put the 3 lbs of sand and rust.