74 Golf 3.5 CSL Bat @ 2021 Audrain Concours

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Not knocking the car but the wheels do not appear to be correct…not enough outer lip.

1DBED2D6-0533-403D-839C-C34332CDA005.jpeg

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
So what do you call a person, persons or family that drive more than 4 csl cars ???
I know what you call somebody with seven - just plain greedy :)

Although, I do have mitigating circumstances or is it just a collectors rationale/excuse to convince himself and his loved ones ? :) Either way, I have my excuse for my craziness at the ready :D

Last edited:

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I know what you call somebody with seven - just plain greedy :)

Although, I do have mitigating circumstances or is it just a collectors rationale/excuse to convince himself and his loved ones ? :) Either way, I have my excuse for my craziness at the ready :D
7 E9 cars … wow
I call you a serious enthusiast of this make and model
I hope you drive them all and enjoy them

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score

More info on the Golf CSL

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
7 E9 cars … wow
I call you a serious enthusiast of this make and model
I hope you drive them all and enjoy them

Last I checked all of @BMW Pete ’s e9’s were CSL’s except for one interesting 2800CS. One could call that greedy except he takes excellent care of them, stretches their legs, and makes them better than when he received them.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Last I checked all of @BMW Pete ’s e9’s were CSL’s except for one interesting 2800CS. One could call that greedy except he takes excellent care of them, stretches their legs, and makes them better than when he received them.
Thank you Markos, yes, all mine are CSLs and then that one 2800CS was a Schnitzer car from new, ran with pretty much most of the Schnitzer drivers in the 71/72/73 period, won at Zandvoort in 71 and Spa in 72 (Jacky Ickx).

Then was turned into a CSL specification and was Walter Bruns Magic Nails car for the 74/75 season. So although entered in races as a CSL in 74/75, it was always a 2800CS.

Below has to be my favorite picture of these cars, its 1974 at Zandvoort and thats my Marlboro CSL in the lead (which became the Levi car in 75) and my Schnitzer Magic Nails car is in third.

Sandhu, as Markos mentioned, I drive all my street cars as often as I can.

Apologies for the quality on that Video from the Petersen - at the start of Covid they asked if I would do a walk around with my I-phone and unfortunately, my hands shake a little. Since that video a Ceylon CSL has been added.

ED828441-5922-4798-821E-88F5DA12071C_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Confirmed by a CSL expert, the Golf BAT is infact 4355007 and not the 2nd last built Bat as claimed by the owner and was Polaris upon leaving the factory. Went from Europe to Canada and then to the US.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Confirmed by a CSL expert, the Golf BAT is infact 4355007 and not the 2nd last built Bat as claimed by the owner and was Polaris upon leaving the factory. Went from Europe to Canada and then to the US.
Curiously not list in the CSL registry. Could be privacy reasons which is understandable for a high dollar vehicle. Good thing the owner doesn’t keep the car hidden away.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Well this changes everything. I must assume then that the batmobile didn’t have 300hp as the owner claims, and BMW made more than two golf CSL’s. At least it’s a CSL. :)

mbmw

Reaction score
The 4355007 was at one time my car. I imported it from Germany to Canada around the mid 90's and I sold it early 2000's to a Gentlemen in Illinois. He kept it for around 18 Years and resold it to someone in New Jersey. Not the same name as in the video. The video is not clear and detailed enough that I can say if it is the same car. One thing for sure it never had these wheels. When I sold the car It was sitting on a set of Alpina 7 X 14" wheels and also included in the sale was a set of 16" BBS wheels.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@mbmw
When you imported 4355007 from Germany was the color Polaris or Golf?
interesting conversation about the same car from 2010…

thanks
Keshav

Last edited:

mbmw

Reaction score
The original color of 4355007 from the factory was Polaris. But when I bought the car it was repainted black with a tricolored stripe on the side. I owned a CSi before in Polaris so I decided to have it repainted Golf since it needed some work anyways. Golf is one of my favorite colors. The color change was done including engine compartment, trunk, interior.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The original color of 4355007 from the factory was Polaris. But when I bought the car it was repainted black with a tricolored stripe on the side. I owned a CSi before in Polaris so I decided to have it repainted Golf since it needed some work anyways. Golf is one of my favorite colors. The color change was done including engine compartment, trunk, interior.
Thanks Markus, that sure fills up the blanks.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score

This is the kind of info we can all share without people getting upset !!!