74 e9 on Tampa Craigslist - real or scam?

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Call me naive, but how do these scams make any money?
I was interested in an air cooled 911 that was cheaper than expected. When I called he said "Someone is coming to see it right now but if you wire me a deposit I'll hold it for you" Ha! He was willing to take anything for a deposit. Of course - even if he gets $25 it's more than he had before. Needless to say I didn't bother and it stayed on Craigslist for about a week.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Call me naive, but how do these scams make any money?
Hello, buyer will be exited buying a car with very good price and probably they are very good at talking they will convince you to send a deposit if not the complete money and you never see the car or you can not fined them, unfortunately that happen to me and lost the $500 deposit, when you call and you are the buyer they will talk the way you will pay

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello, buyer will be exited buying a car with very good price and probably they are very good at talking they will convince you to send a deposit if not the complete money and you never see the car or you can not fined them, unfortunately that happen to me and lost the $500 deposit, when you call and you are the buyer they will talk the way you will pay
if you guys are looking for E9 I have 2 E9 that will go on sale maybe in 2 weeks in BAT one have M# engine and other is new rebuilt original engine with 3 Weber,

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
I contacted the "seller" to see what scam they are playing.
This is the response and typical that they are overseas with the car is in the US. Their English is improving (chatgpt?). I will add the response if I get one for the request to drive the vehicle. I removed some info with "......".

Hello,
Thanks for your interest in my BMW 3.0 CS and I apologize for the delay in getting back. As I am currently working overseas for ........, I cannot provide a specific return date at this time. However, I can confirm that the car is still available for sale at $25,500 with 14,440 miles on it. The bmw is in excellent condition with a clear title, no mechanical or electrical issues, and no history of accidents. It is currently located at the shipping company in ............ If you would like more information or additional pictures, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will respond as soon as possible.
Thank you again for your interest and I hope to hear from you soon.

The response 6/5 and my comment back was requesting the broker's address for a PPI (now the car is with a broker and not a shipping company).

Yes, it is definitely possible and you can see it in person by traveling to the location to Clearfield, PA .
I have attached a full set of pictures for your review. The car belonged to my father who recently passed away. He was the second owner. The car, title, two sets of keys, manuals, and some service history records will be included in the sale.
I have arranged for the sale through an auto broker for a safe and easy transaction for both of us. The auto broker will hold the money in a holding account until you receive the car. After the car is delivered, you will have a 7-day inspection period before deciding if you wish to keep it or not. If you are serious about buying the car, I will ship it anywhere with no extra cost.
If you have any questions or would like to move forward with the purchase, please contact me back so we can get the ball rolling.

Last edited:

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Weird, I flagged it as well and the title changed to gray with struck-out text but when I checked from another browser it was still up. My first browser window has a button that offers to un-hide the ad. I don't care if it's hidden from me, I want it hidden from others.