74 3.0 in AZ

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
The one picture that stands out is a very poorly sprayed trunk, just covering up ....for now.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting. Mileage is tricky, no way of knowing if it is indeed 55k, and also no way of knowing the mileage of the 3.5 liter engine installed. There may be service documentation to prove it.

A garaged car from Tucson is good, not garaged is not good. The list of things done is good including the Bilsteins. Going to smaller bumper would be nice but I read it is not trivial. Black paint on the engine bay always rings alarm bells, so that is the most interesting question.

Probably the best way to explore this one is to see if one could contact the shop(s) that cared the car for the last 15 years.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde in the post above is spot on. I would not purchase a big bumper car no matter what the condition. The bumpers were originally made for NYC buss's. Changing them is difficult and then you have made a significant alteration to an original car.

No matter what car you buy, have someone from this group look it over - carefully. Many of the people on this site know have to evaluate "rust free cars." No such thing unless they spent time on the rotisserie.

calshamus

Reaction score
No matter what car you buy, have someone from this group look it over - carefully.

I'm looking at E9's now and have owned and built many types of cars, but never an E9. Based on the guide here: http://www.e9coupe.com/buyers_guide/index.htm - and a fair amount of technical car knowledge, do you believe one could legitimately inspect a car, or is it a "niche" talent specific to E9s to get a true evaluation? Just curious.

Sorry to highjack this thread with "technical" input.

One other thing, has anyone put together a rust prevention guide? Welding certain holes, sealing specific seams, maybe drilling holes in the torque boxes for moisture draining, etc. Again just curious.

I'm not much of a trophy collector and plan on driving my car frequently. Yes I'm the guy that uses the china regularly.

Shawn

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Am I missing something

Poorly sprayed trunk - all I see is a wheel well that looks like most others except maybe less rusty. Am I missing something?

dbower

Reaction score
Shocks

Those Bill Stine sports always give you a nice 4wd look. Very useful when off-roading or changing the oil without ramps...

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Those Bill Stine sports always give you a nice 4wd look. Very useful when off-roading or changing the oil without ramps...

Uh, I'm not quite sure what this means. I happen to have a set of Bilstein sports on my e39, and I like them a lot.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Without lowering springs, bilsteins in place of oem hydraulic shocks will raise the car up, either sport or HD, I think this is what he means.

Uh, I'm not quite sure what this means. I happen to have a set of Bilstein sports on my e39, and I like them a lot.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm looking at E9's now and have owned and built many types of cars, but never an E9. Based on the guide here: http://www.e9coupe.com/buyers_guide/index.htm - and a fair amount of technical car knowledge, do you believe one could legitimately inspect a car, or is it a "niche" talent specific to E9s to get a true evaluation? Just curious.

Sorry to highjack this thread with "technical" input.

One other thing, has anyone put together a rust prevention guide? Welding certain holes, sealing specific seams, maybe drilling holes in the torque boxes for moisture draining, etc. Again just curious.

I'm not much of a trophy collector and plan on driving my car frequently. Yes I'm the guy that uses the china regularly.

Shawn

I too use the china, and indeed may modify the china to my liking.

I grew up in WI, know rust well and would not buy a rusty car with the intention of fixing it. Been there done that, have the scars.

Eldorado66

Reaction score
Oneills, I am looking at a Bus Bumper Coupe..can you or anyone else that knows estimate the cost to do the conversion. If its not a super nice all Original low milage Coupe then does the altering originality really matter when looking to Greatly enhance said Coupes look with bumpers that look the way they are supposed to look sans DOT regs.Im guessing it wont be as easy as an E24 US to Euro. Thanks, E

Arde in the post above is spot on. I would not purchase a big bumper car no matter what the condition. The bumpers were originally made for NYC buss's. Changing them is difficult and then you have made a significant alteration to an original car.

No matter what car you buy, have someone from this group look it over - carefully. Many of the people on this site know have to evaluate "rust free cars." No such thing unless they spent time on the rotisserie.