73 Euro on BaT

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So why on earth would BAT accept ANY car whose stamped body VIN does not match the number on the VIN plate or title.? Would any of the well known auction houses take a car with similar discrepancies? It’s reckless at best. BAT turns down submissions for lesser reasons all the time. I submitted an e23 745i and an e3 early last year and both were turned down for non specified reasons. So it can’t be for lack of submissions.

We all know e9 values are raising fast but could they really be that greedy? Would they accept a Porsche speedster with the same issues?
I answering my own question. I guess they would.
I can easily see someone buying this car with their heart for a low price and then regretting it.
If BAT wishes to preserve their “reputation” they should take this auction down.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah this one is getting popcorn-worthy over there. @OCCoupe when did you get a SECOND e9????
selling my E9 has been a big downer in my life. I’ve missed the car, I’ve missed the attention, and I’ve missed my friends. I resigned myself to never being able to afford one again until I was pointed towards this https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/i’m-back.35053/ I’m the third owner. The previous owner bought it in ‘73. It had t run in 15 years and now I’m having a blast driving it even though it’s an auto. That soon will change.
E8F72299-16A8-420F-AF87-D666B0A56621.jpeg

Last edited:

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
selling my E9 has been a big downer in my life. I’ve missed the car, I’ve missed the attention, and I’ve missed my friends. I resigned myself to never being able to afford one again until I was pointed towards this https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/i’m-back.35053/ I’m the third owner. The previous owner bought it in ‘73. It had t run in 15 years and now I’m having a blast driving it even though it’s an auto. That soon will change.
View attachment 104619
Happy to see that Mike - your previous car had the best stance of any e9 I've seen. I'm hoping for re-assembly soon, so I'm going to pick your brains on how to match it.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Aha! Small step for man... The 5-speed conversion is well understood, in your case I would think you would take the road less travelled to a 6-speed.

I’m having a blast driving it even though it’s an auto. That soon will change.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Per BaT Listing withdrawn. Dead horse no longer getting abused.

Just in case. I snapped it yesterday also but before things heated up...

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Per BaT Listing withdrawn. Dead horse no longer getting abused.
Better late than...No wait, the fact that BAT was willing to list it in the first place borders on criminal.

In their explanation BAT claims that they may relist the car if the owner can get the VIN issue "ironed out". The ironing should have been done before the listing.
The only way to get it "ironed out" is for the seller complete the difficult task of finding replacement title company who can legally supply a title for VIN 2240704 (which is what this car is from the firewall back). Then replacing the VIN Plate to match the firewall stamping. I wish him luck.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Better late than...No wait, the fact that BAT was willing to list it in the first place borders on criminal.

Social media sites can skirt most liability by claiming they are only the platform that hosts content, and are not responsible for the content within.. No such luck for BaT. They would be accepting commission on the sale of illegal goods. It doesn't border criminal - it is criminal. It's no different than selling a firearm modified to be fully automatic.

Anybody remember this fiasco?

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Interesting, the seller didn't thank OCCoupe or Markos. Hm.
Also, I wonder how easy it is to get an assigned VIN per that link posted and how easy that is to transfer to the U.S.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Also, I wonder how easy it is to get an assigned VIN per that link posted and how easy that is to transfer to the U.S.

I ruined his day and Markos helped. That guy probably hates me.

As for ease of assigning a VIN? If it’s not the vin stamped on the firewall I’d stay away. That car is good as either a parts car or a track car.

restart

Reaction score
the wagons are circling. :p
It is not criminal. I don’t think the guy was trying to pull anything over on any one. It certainly appears that the seller had no clue. Would he sell it knowingly online with a fake vin? I doubt it. There are procedures in place everywhere for solving that title issue. For example in BC > http://www.sva.bc.ca/icbc-vin-number-regs/ < Accusing someone publicly and online of being a criminal or illegal behaviour, without all the info should be criminal. As some of you know, if someone is slagging someone else behind their back, well, I think that is unacceptable and will call it out.
if you are going to be champions of Justice consider my latest post on legality of vehicle frame modification, for example. That other coupe on bat sure looks like it has rust in the ‘box’ and that front subframe sure looks like it has been welded and repaired. If there was an accident it is possible that the owners insurance claim would be declined. I wouldn’t want that to happen to anyone. Probably worse than getting a wrong vin number. So, yes, I too would hate to see someone screwed like that or any other way.
Obviously, it would have been better if the seller had already applied for the assigned vin available for this situation. But I think he has no clue.
Written but not proofed, dinner time. Questions? See me after class:)
my email is [email protected]

Last edited:

restart

Reaction score
It’s easier than you think. It’s called pig skin.
and Mike let me be the first to ask you to list your two new coupes on the registry!

restart

Reaction score
Sheesh. Thanks for the NON-inflammatory reply. I don’t respond well to flames.
So thanks, really, I mean it!
Commenting on line is like talking with a mask on. Difficult to read someones intent or disposition when they have a mask on. I am really a very nice guy:)
Cheers
“I’m a little verklempt
Talk amongst yourselves” LR

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
the wagons are circling. :p
It is not criminal. I don’t think the guy was trying to pull anything over on any one. It certainly appears that the seller had no clue. Would he sell it knowingly online with a fake vin? I doubt it. There are procedures in place everywhere for solving that title issue. For example in BC > http://www.sva.bc.ca/icbc-vin-number-regs/ < Accusing someone publicly and online of being a criminal or illegal behaviour, without all the info should be criminal. As some of you know, if someone is slagging someone else behind their back, well, I think that is unacceptable and will call it out.
if you are going to be champions of Justice consider my latest post on legality of vehicle frame modification, for example. That other coupe on bat sure looks like it has rust in the ‘box’ and that front subframe sure looks like it has been welded and repaired. If there was an accident it is possible that the owners insurance claim would be declined. I wouldn’t want that to happen to anyone. Probably worse than getting a wrong vin number. So, yes, I too would hate to see someone screwed like that or any other way.
Obviously, it would have been better if the seller had already applied for the assigned vin available for this situation. But u think he has no clue.
Written but not proofed, dinner time. Questions? See me after class:)
my email is [email protected]
My issue is with BAT not the seller. I agree that the seller was not intentionally trying be deceitful. To his/her credit they were up front about the car’s multiple VIN problem. (Ignorance is not the best defense by the way) BAT has to know that it could present legality issues and advised the seller to attempt a remedy before they accepted the listing. Maybe getting a car with “the wrong VIN number” (sic) north of the border is not a big deal but on this side of the border it’s a rather large problem

Oh wait, I recall some Canadian market cars sold in the 50’s that were half Dodge and half Plymouth.
That explains it.

Have a nice dinner.

Last edited: