73 CSL. On BAT

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would like to let my CSL ignorance flourish and ask a few questions. This car is fascinating. It has a lot of originality in the interior and underside. It is the 15th 2275 car but in city pack-esc form. Still has manual windows, and a trunk prop. Still has original hood pins. I can’t tell if the doors are steel, not recalling if the upper rivets on an aluminum door clear the rubber seals. Has a dome light.

Did BMW make city packs this early or did this car get bumper treatment later?

Interior lights

There seem to be quite a bit of confusion about the CSL interior light set up, so here is the rule:
early carbs, rallye light in the glove box, no light in the headliner
late carbs, rallye light on the dash, no light in the headliner
2275 series, rallye light on the dash, no light in the headliner
2275 series with citypack and 2285 series, no rallye light, headliner light on the DRIVER´S side
4355 series, no rallye light, headliner light on the driver´s side (left)

If your car has a different set up, it has been modified at some point.

Gerrit

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would like to let my CSL ignorance flourish and ask a few questions. This car is fascinating. It has a lot of originality in the interior and underside. It is the 15th 2275 car but in city pack-esc form. Still has manual windows, and a trunk prop. Still has original hood pins. I can’t tell if the doors are steel, not recalling if the upper rivets on an aluminum door clear the rubber seals. Has a dome light.

Did BMW make city packs this early or did this car get bumper treatment later?
Markos, so I know this car fairly well. It's a great survivor car. Rey Rivera is the Owner (REYN SPEED SHOP). I asked him if ok to post that on here for the members and he gave me his blessing. The doors are steel and he said to get with Bill, the consigner, for initial questions (Contact Seller Button). If Bill he can't answer them, Rey will inform Bill of the proper response. Bill is an awesome guy and very knowledgeable on almost everything vintage BMW etc. A car guy through and through and very classy guy...

My personal take... I always wanted to buy this from Rey if he ever sold, but being that it is on BaT, I am out of the picture price wise. It's a super cool car with a BMW history of previous owners most a lot of you know or heard of in our tight knit community. I'll leave it at that. Super cool color INHO for a CSL. Bid with confidence...

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great stuff guys. More information on the car here than on BaT it seems. Anyhow this is one desirable coupe.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos, so I know this car fairly well. It's a great survivor car. Rey Rivera is the Owner (REYN SPEED SHOP). I asked him if ok to post that on here for the members and he gave me his blessing. The doors are steel and he said to get with Bill, the consigner, for initial questions (Contact Seller Button). If Bill he can't answer them, Rey will inform Bill of the proper response. Bill is an awesome guy and very knowledgeable on almost everything vintage BMW etc. A car guy through and through and very classy guy...

My personal take... I always wanted to buy this from Rey if he ever sold, but being that it is on BaT, I am out of the picture price wise. It's a super cool car with a BMW history of previous owners most a lot of you know or heard of in our tight knit community. I'll leave it at that. Super cool color INHO for a CSL. Bid with confidence...

Thanks! I think I did see on the auction comments that it is Rey’s car. I keep saying that I don’t like red cars, and then something comes along to sway my opinion. I don’t know if anyone has noticed, but it seems like the vast majority of Verona CSL’s are RHD.

Also thank you @m5toureg for checking the bible. Mine is on the top shelf and I rarely think to check there for non-parts info.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
The Bimmer magazine said this CSL had 222hp vs the 200 hp of a CSi when the article was written. Where did the 10% increase in HP come from? The BaT description now says the replacement engine is 200 HP.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Aren't these motors 3003 cc? Or, supposed to be?
Yes, for those into details…..

“Initially using the same engine as the 3.0 CS,[11] the 3.0 CSL was given a very small increase in displacement to 3,003 cc (183.3 cu in) by increasing the engine bore by one quarter of a millimetre to 89.25 mm (3.51 in).[8][11] This was done in August 1972 to allow the CSL to be raced in the "over three litre" racing category, allowing for some increase in displacement in the racing cars.[8] In 1973,[9][12] the engine in the 3.0 CSL was given another, more substantial increase in displacement to 3,153 cc (3.2 L; 192.4 cu in) by increasing the stroke to 84 mm (3.31 in), rated at 206 PS (203 hp; 152 kW) at 5600 rpm and 286 N⋅m (211 lb⋅ft) at 4200 rpm of torque .[11][12][13] This final version of the 3.0 CSL was homologated in July 1973 along with an aerodynamic package including a large air dam, short fins running along the front fenders, a spoiler above and behind the trailing edge of the roof, and a tall rear wing.[14] The rear wings were not installed at the factory, but were left in the boot for installation after purchase. This was done because the wings were illegal for use on German roads. The full aero package earned the racing CSLs the nickname "Batmobile"

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i keep waiting for this car to take off. currently at 98k with 45 min to go. curious where it ends up. while not perfect, its a nice car + should end up a lot higher than it is currently ... even though the e9 market is perhaps down a bit right now

aguirola

Reaction score
Crazy stitching behind the 6 o'clock spoke :)

Regards, Albertp

IMG_0878.JPG

1690586885225.png

aguirola

Reaction score
First time I notice, the 3 ends are finished differently in the 2 wheels.
Seeing them side by side makes the difference.
Must be different production years. Mine, bottom photo, ought to be a '75.

Regards, Alberto