'73 3.0CS Rear Caliper Rebuild-Piston R&R, Orientation, Dust Boot Replacement

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Elementary? Maybe step-by-step narrative will help someone else.

1. Piston removal. One of the two pistons would not budge after removing the caliper. Solution: put the caliper back on the car with the pads removed, reattach the brake line, insert some wood shims so the piston that DOES move will not come out of the bore, and use the hydraulic system to push the stuck piston out. I had to push the 'stuck" piston back into the bore several times, but eventually it moved far enough out to allow me to use a channel locks to grab the edge of the piston and rotate it until I could get it out of the bore. Note that I split the caliper halves. Perhaps with a brake piston pliers (like below, said to be available at Home Depot for ~$60.00 US) this would not be necessary.

1693107355418.png

2. New seals. Nothing fancy here. Use a pick to remove old ones, clean the bores and passages with brake clean, shop rags, and compressed air, lubricate the new seals with brake fluid and put them in place. I got rebuild kits FTE RKS4202 from PMB Performance, 372 Winchester St., Murray, UT 84107 USA. Tel. # 1-855.786-7101, The kit does not include new pistons.

3. So, the pistons don't slide in by hand, like so many of the YouTube videos show, The new seals which are not tapered but probably take a "set" with use create a lot of friction. So push the piston in with a C-clamp or a pad spreader repurposed.

So here's where we are. Got the piston started and spent a lot of time creating my substitute for the BMW tool to orient the piston that supposedly quiets the brakes, not that the Blue Bible tells you why this is so important (if it really is).

BMW caliper.jpeg

1.jpg

4. Here's how my expensive 3.9314 - 0600.1 tool is used.
2.jpg

5. But what about the darn dust boot? More YouTubes that don't really seem to answer the problem. And some guys have done it so often that they are not inclined to be, uh, too helpful. I tried getting it on with the piston in place, but that was not gonna happen. So I took the piston out and put the boot on the piston.

3.jpg

6. Put the booted piston back in the bore and press it in -- all the way in -- with a C-clamp held in a vice.
4.jpg

7. With the piston all the way in, the dust boots edge fits down in the groove and the retaining ring can be spread and slipped on.
6.jpg

8. If the piston needs to be rotated, move it out with compressed air and use the channel locks.

I used to write laboratory manuals for college biology students. Never assume knowledge of anything. And there is no such thing as a dumb question. We are all ignorant until we aren't any longer.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Great write up, can be tricky to pull the pistons out after years of sitting, they do make one hell of a bang when they pop out with compressed air!

AFAIK unless it's leaking splitting the caliper halves is to be avoided. I also believe that they use stretch bolts and new ones aren't available

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great write up, can be tricky to pull the pistons out after years of sitting, they do make one hell of a bang when they pop out with compressed air!

AFAIK unless it's leaking splitting the caliper halves is to be avoided. I also believe that they use stretch bolts and new ones aren't available
You are correct that splitting the halves is not recommended. I have new seals for the channels. I did it because I do not believe I could have gotten the pistons out otherwise. I am going to reuse the bolts and hope for the best. There are places that will rebuild the calipers and I am pretty sure they split them.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
no se que es tan dificil de entender en relacion a las pinzas de freno, yo pensaba que las imagenes se explicarian por si solas, pero aparentemente no todos lo ven asi

quiero comentar que la ausencia de explicaciones mas detalladas se debe a que cuando tu lengua materna es otra tus capacidades linguisticas pueden verse comprometidas, por lo que tal vez no tengas la soltura y agilidad que un nativo pudiera tener.

Para que esto se entienda mejor este hilo va a ir en castellano

finalmente no puedo entender no agradecer aquello que se nos da gratuitamente, independientemente de que cumpla o no con nuestras necesidades, y quejarse de que algunos " they are not inclined to be, uh, too helpful " WTH ???; cuando son muchos mas los que simplemente no publican NADA. En castellano hay un dicho: "a caballo regalado,..."

empezamos: las pinzas de freno no se abren nunca, salvo fuga de liquido
segundo, no es bueno aconsejar usar aire comprimido para sacar los pistones sin advertir del enorme riesgo de daños severos en las manos por la enorme fuerza con la que los pistones se impulsan si se usa aire.

422A2652-1C1E-46A6-ADF0-4A0D69D3F899.jpeg

59B85489-ECB0-47B9-8CBA-EA033187FB35.jpeg

C83E5ED2-CA80-4D2C-8D73-0CB62034BFDE.jpeg

C4E2F2F7-2441-4CB6-A375-9E1AF916774D.jpeg

4E6F5E4A-67F4-4B44-99C8-2B4BB4700DDA.jpeg

C8AD74F9-4C7A-4B81-88A7-F6F35A8FD4E5.jpeg

la colocacion de los guardapolvos se puede hacer presentandolos sobre el piston en su ranura, e introduciendo este en su cilindro;
es bueno aplicar liquido de frenos al piston al introducirlo, y hacerlo de forma suave y sin cruzarlo
DEE8F541-273A-438F-ACD3-64090789F0E2.jpeg

aquellos que dispongan de esta herramienta de la marca HAZET como yo pueden usarla para introducir los pistones, es muy util, y es muy cara, y no es obligatoriamente necesaria;
42AAB5B0-C278-4FD4-8E74-35F434DCD462.jpeg

una vez enrasado el piston solo queda adaptar el guardapolvos a la ranura e introducir con cuidado los anillos
DFA10B6E-949C-40F9-ACC9-E0698B2CBCDA.jpeg

6C5CA7C9-F107-4326-954E-92095AC38B39.jpeg

en ocasiones es necesario intentarlo un par de veces pues pueden resbalar y salirse, pero finalmente funciona

saludos

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Part of the rebuild should also consist of the O-rings that are between the two halves so splitting them should be done.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Part of the rebuild should also consist of the O-rings that are between the two halves so splitting them should be done.

Bob,
i do not think it is necessary if you do not have brake fluid spills
it involves discarding the bolts that are NLA
and using an special RIBE point for those bolts
you can save those o-rings for the future