73 3.0CS for $10k on Ebay

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is the car not worth 10k?
Without seeing the car in person, but looking through the images on this auction (and the last time it was listed), I would think in today's market it is worth around that. There are more rough or less complete cars that have been trading hands - this one seems to be a reasonable start for an ambitious new coupe owner.

I always love the line "ran when parked". This is always true, and truly meaningless. I also did not find a VIN listed. Just curious as it may be a close neighbor to mine.?.

nathanegger

Reaction score
Car is easily worth 8k just from pictures. Any one who has restored one knows. Painted? Palm Trees in New York?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jefftepper

Reaction score
I've decided not to restore this car and will be using the funds on another project car, which is why it's up for sale again.”

Translation:
I foolishly bought this coupe on emotion and didn’t do my due diligence and now I’m ready to dump it on an unsuspecting buyer.

I suggest a slightly different "translation" : After my mechanic had the "Come to Jesus" conversation with me, I realized that when my wife finds out how much I paid for this pile, sight unseen, I'll be sleeping in the hammock out back for two years.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Palm Trees in New York?
The pictures look very familiar to me. I think these are the same images from when the car was listed originally. Which leads me to question the story that the New York guy bought it from the Florida guy - perhaps they are the same guy and he is trying a different approach after the first sale not going through? THis is all speculation - I still think it is worth $8k with the pile of parts. The only thing it is missing is a 5-speed trans. The slush box and the 4-speed are both dead weight in my mind (sorry to the auto folks out there).

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wasn't this originally for sale by our forum member Floridabmx? I am almost certain it was his car.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wasn't this originally for sale by our forum member Floridabmx? I am almost certain it was his car.

Doesn't look like one of his cars. I personally don't remember this one for sale ever. I feel like I would have remembered the grey interior. Honestly it seems like a good deal to me. The interior looks good, both wood and seats. The inner fenders look good. Just assume that it needs new floor boards and rockers, firewall bits, etc.

Tirekikr

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a similar "shock & awe" :eek: conversation with a mechanic I used on my fjord '74 3.0CS. I was definitely guilty of buying on emotion :(

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gents, in a couple of years we can't even touch this for less than 20K

I disagree........ in a couple years after this debt bomb explodes along with everyone's pensions, Social Security, and the fiat currency PONZI is exposed, (insert any other myriad of problems/black swans) you could probably pick it up for one barrel of your fine light sweet crude over there in Teh-has! This recent pull-back was just the tip of the iceberg in my opinion. Then it will be Buy, Buy, Buy!

We will have to see who is right in 2020 I guess. By then these idiot politicians will probably outlaw all these petrol cars anyways and we will be relegated to Mexico Targa's and the track!

floridabmx

Reaction score

not one of my old cars, although looks like itd be. It was sold on ebay a few months ago in florida and now this guys selling it. says in description. Seems like a pretty decent deal, id love to have it.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It was sold on ebay a few months ago in florida and now this guys selling it.
I don't doubt this is the case. But I have a technical/IT question. This new seller appears to be using all of the original photos from the listing when it was being sold from a guy in Florida (remember them - and the palm trees are a dead giveaway) . If these are separate individuals, how does one obtain/use all of the original photos for their new eBay listing? Was the car sold with a thumb drive of photos? :confused:

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
You don't save the postings when you are researching cars? I save all that stuff in case it's needed. House, car, equipment. In case there are any disputes later.

Here's the ad for what became my car a few months later. It was nowhere near as bad as the ad makes it seem, he was very discouraged about the difficulty of repair.

1970-bmw-2800-cs-for-parts-or-restore-Hedwig-ad.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You don't save the postings when you are researching cars?
I've saved some postings - but would never consider using the pictures from them if I relisted. While I imagine copyright infringement isn't technically at play here, it seems unethical and/or misleading. I am in the design field, I look at content ownership (graphic as well as intellectual) differently than some.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, reusing the images when reselling the car is definitely something I would not do. If he had simply had a change of heart and not turned a single bolt on the car then condition wise they are still valid however I would still take new photos since there has been a change of location as well as ownership. It's easy for me, maybe not for some others.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the current market I tend to agree with others that the 10k mark is not unreasonable for a complete 3.0cs. The only detractor is the automatic transmission, BUT it is a slicktop car which some favor. The biggest question mark is the absence of photos of the car's underside and hence concern over rust in our favorite places.
\

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
IMHO, I think the price of theses cars are going up faster than the $ labor hour to work on the rust!