73 3.0 (3.5) Built engine - 79k

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nc csl

I know that my Polaris car has always been jealous of the good doctor's car when we have been around it. Good luck to him with the sale.
Dave V. in western NC

JDJ

Reaction score
"Divide by two" is such a dumb thing to say. This is the only board i have ever seen where people spend all day knocking holes in their cars. I am sure it was an expensive build good luck getting a good, fair price for it.

waynesie

Reaction score
Aearch may have missed the part that this is a CSL.
Or may have misstaken this 73 for the other way over priced 73 CS with the pepboys steering wheel and shift knob. (which is 3x over priced)

If i had that money to spend I would be considering this one.

rb1971

Reaction score
Aearch may have missed the part that this is a CSL.
Or may have misstaken this 73 for the other way over priced 73 CS with the pepboys steering wheel and shift knob. (which is 3x over priced)

If i had that money to spend I would be considering this one.

Agreed. I'd be interested in this for that money (assuming it checks out as it appears to be in the pics), if I didn't already have a car.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
You should engage your brain before you speak

(1) better to check your facts before embarrassing yourself with foolish posts
(2) If you think the seller is dreaming, at least have the courtesy to give some concrete reasons why.
(3) If you (or any of us) are going to blast a seller, I think one should at least have the courtesy of seeing the car first (or have a PPI done).

I did go see it, so I can speak from fact rather than armchair fiction.
And, guess what ... I don't think it would be good etiquette to post what I found in the open forum.

If you're serious about buying this car and want to talk about it before you buy your plane ticket, PM me. Otherwise, how about showing some respect for Paul.

John

RonP

Reaction score
(1) better to check your facts before embarrassing yourself with foolish posts
(2) If you think the seller is dreaming, at least have the courtesy to give some concrete reasons why.
(3) If you (or any of us) are going to blast a seller, I think one should at least have the courtesy of seeing the car first (or have a PPI done).

I did go see it, so I can speak from fact rather than armchair fiction.
And, guess what ... I don't think it would be good etiquette to post what I found in the open forum.

If you're serious about buying this car and want to talk about it before you buy your plane ticket, PM me. Otherwise, how about showing some respect for Paul.

John

Well put, John. I have spoken to John about this car on the phone and he is extremely honest, detailed, and forthwith with any and all problems and solutions. I know he has seen the car first hand and knows his way around the car. If you are interested in buying it, I would highly recommended that you speak to him first.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dont feed the trolls.

I took a quick look on NADA for their value estimates and I just don't understand. They show a CSL topping out at about 20% less than what I understand TJ to have received for his. And their CSi prices are half of what I know better cars are being sold for.

snj5

Reaction score
Dont feed the trolls.

I took a quick look on NADA for their value estimates and I just don't understand. They show a CSL topping out at about 20% less than what I understand TJ to have received for his. And their CSi prices are half of what I know better cars are being sold for.

Most likely time lag due to older data not reflecting current market. They obviously do not talk to Erik at Coupeking.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Valuation

Both Coupeguy and someone else here told me that most E9 valuations are crap. They're right. Hagerty is among the better. I think HBChris and Stan are right to place their cars are in the $40-$60k range.

CSL's are easier to value because enough of them sell at auctions every year. It's my perspective that non-BAT and non-lightweight CSL's that are properly sorted and of correct configuration are topping out around $90-$100k in publicly visible sales. I know almost nothing about private sales of CSL's, but RonP would be a good starting point for answers.

execmalibu

Reaction score
E9 prices are WEAK compared to other Euro cars of the same period...

The BMW E9 is the neglected step child compared to other Euro cars from the same period...

Check the ebay sales history and you will see the same cars listed repeatedly for weeks and/or months on end and the average sales price for what look to be decent E9s (2800CS + 3.0CS/CSi) is around $16,000... CSLs and Bats are a different story...

With vintage Porsches (356 and 911s) from the 1950s all the way through the 1980s seeing a MAJOR increase in value and also the same situation with Vintage MBZs, Ferraris, Alfas, Jags, even Triumphs and MGs, why are E9s dead in the water price wise?

Coupeguy and Mark in NY might occasionally sell an E9 for big money but the "Market Value" that most E9 buyers pay is in the $16,000-$18,000 range. Look again at ebay and you will notice the "BUY IT NOW" prices are usually in that range. This proves to me that even the E9 owners value their own cars in this very low range. Most vintage car sellers will research the market and base their asking price on what they determine the "Market Value" is based upon recent sales.

I have only been in the E9 world for the past 2 years and absolutely nothing has changed as far as E9 value in that time. Although I was in Monterey last month and that is definitely not the case with the other Euro cars of the same period. 911S $215K, Dino Spyder $450K, E-Type Jag $165K

I recently spent around $23K doing a minor cosmetic restoration of my CSi and now I am in the car around $32 which is probably more then the car is currently worth. Lucky for me I am not interested in selling and the crazy value of my (6) Vintage Porsches and Dino Spyder will help ease the pain.

Last edited:

RonP

Reaction score
Dont feed the trolls.

David,

The problem with NADA and KBB are that they are just "guides" on what the values are and are most likely written and published by someone that has never seen a CSL or a CSi. Most of the CSL's are not sold publicly, therefore there is nothing to reference KBB or NADA from. I have sold four CSL's and a Batmobile in the last 2 years, but there is no way I would tell anyone what they sold for, and that is another problem in itself as far as establishing a "published" value. I will give a point of reference in general terms, though. I know of three Bats that have sold for north of $200k, and a decent CSL is in the $125-140k range.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jeff,

Your CSi is worth more than $32K. We are too hard on ourselves and don't recognize that coupe values have increased. I think it takes $30K to get into a coupe that has had a significant amount of prior work done in the last ten years. I know what others have gotten or paid for in private sales and there are many in the $55-65K range for nicely restored CS coupes. And I have been told mine is worth more than $75K but it isn't going anywhere, it's a keeper.

Chris

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks to all. It's nice to see this return to a civil discussion among adults.

I know that the private sales are generally kept quiet. But I'm not sure I understand why. For those getting top dollar for their cars, wouldn't publishing these numbers lift the value ? Stated another way, wouldn't a potential buyer be more inclined to pay top dollar if the "published sources" did not show much lower price estimates ?

-D

P.S. Ron, I'm still looking for an E28.

execmalibu

Reaction score
HB Chris... A CSi sold last week on ebay for $18k.. It looked very good...

Chris,

The problem is that these cars are selling for very low prices! A 1972 Fjord CSi that had tons of photos and looked very good for sale in Santa Ana was ebay auctioned twice in the past 3-4 weeks and in both ebay auctions it only bid to around $18k ($18,100 and $18,300)... For a nice CSi this seems waaay to cheap!

I was considering buying the car but (4) E9s is enough... I think?

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
David,

There is no official way to publish a private sale. Auctions are documented, Craigslist is not nor is eBay that legitimate, cars are relisted many times over. I think buyers are becoming more discriminating.

Chris

execmalibu

Reaction score
In the Porsche and Ferrari circles the highest prices spread like wildfire!

Any time a Porsche 356 or early 911 sells for a high price the word gets out IMMEDIATELY! I have been in the vintage Porsche community for 40 years and as far back as 1975 when a 1958 Speedster (1600 Super)sold for the then amazingly huge price of $10K every Porsche collector on the planet knew in just a few days...

That was 30 years before the internet!

Ferrari also has a Ferrari market letter that has been published for 30+ years... So does Porsche...

The internet gives you the tool to track both asking and selling prices and there have not been enough documented high dollar selling prices... The standard nice E9s all seem to sell around $18K... A year ago there was a beautifully restored Polaris E9 in SF that had lots of activity on this site and it sold for only $21.8K

The early 911 guys track the sales of the cars to keep a line on the values...

Also notice that recently most E9s on ebay have literally over two thousand hits so thousands of people are clicking on and watching the E9 auction. That many people with interest in E9s is encouraging , but they are just not paying and that kills the value!

Last edited: