72 3.0 CSL in SF Bay Area

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Must be the one that sold at Amelia Island at the Gooding auction in March for $148,500

m73

Reaction score
Maybe it's the black, but I really like this car...to me if it's the real deal, then easily worth 200k.

MF

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
I saw this in person a few weekends ago. Aside from some chrome pitting, and a crack in the dash, it was hard to find faults. Gorgeous car, and I really liked it in black.

rb1971

Reaction score
It belongs to the owner of BMW SF, who also owns a number of original race cars. I heard he was going to put it in his showroom but didn't know he had done so yet. Should have asked for a ride before. He knows his coupes.

I wonder if it's CPO. :)

jamesw

Reaction score
That's the car I saw here in Houston at Drivers Source a couple of months ago. Then I saw it on a video from the vintage races at VIR a few weeks ago (getting passed by a Datsun Roadster mind you). Now it's back in SF.

That car gets around!

Cheers
James

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
It belongs to the owner of BMW SF, who also owns a number of original race cars. I heard he was going to put it in his showroom but didn't know he had done so yet. Should have asked for a ride before. He knows his coupes.

I wonder if it's CPO. :)

I got to see the dealer, Henry Schmidt, with his race CSL at Sebring a few years back at the December vintage races.
It was loud and fast!

Has anyone inquired about the price of this one? I am sure it is the one that sold at Amelia. With buyers premium, it was 163k I believe.

The car was not originally black? I thought someone who knows more than I made that observation.

I was at Amelia, but missed that auction.

Scott

Gernstetter

Reaction score
I got to see the dealer, Henry Schmidt, with his race CSL at Sebring a few years back at the December vintage races.
It was loud and fast!

Has anyone inquired about the price of this one? I am sure it is the one that sold at Amelia. With buyers premium, it was 163k I believe.

The car was not originally black? I thought someone who knows more than I made that observation.

I was at Amelia, but missed that auction.

Scott

I will be in San Francisco next week and will check it out......

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is one good looking coupe. Wonder where its correct wheels went and the scheel material looks odd.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
nice car...

Guessing this one got restored back when keeping all the details wasn't quite as important to people. Looks to be a non-Scheel replacement fabric on correct seats, later steering wheel, later wheels, later spoilers and graphic package... looks like someone wanted a BAT?

These early light weights were over looked for a long time.

Nash

Reaction score
I saw the car at Amelia and would have bought if correct.

Lots of wrong things mentioned earlier by others, including wrong material on seats.

Car should be Yellow.

Welded panel on inner panel just to left of fuse box, shows rust damage there.

Trunk has fully integrated spoiler, conveniently not shown in pictures, seriously ugly ( in my opinion) and lots of filler……….. lifted hood, it is Aluminum, but seriously heavy, can only imagine more filler.

Didn't have right engine and the correct engine was supposedly with the car, it never appeared during auction.

I don't like being negative about cars, but please be careful of very shiny heavy paint.

Just my opinion, others may feel different when they see it.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good comments Nash- assuming the original engine is actually available then the bones might be here for a complete redo (after you drive it hard for a few years).

rb1971

Reaction score
Nash- Good comments. I haven't seen the car in person yet (might head over this weekend since I have to help a friend buy a new car anyone), but my understanding is that the motor in the car was correct but the right carbs are missing. (As in, gone, not available.) But that the motor was correct for the car. This comes from someone knowledgeable who looked closely at the car but might have been mangled in communication.

-John

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Guessing this one got restored back when keeping all the details wasn't quite as important to people. Looks to be a non-Scheel replacement fabric on correct seats, later steering wheel, later wheels, later spoilers and graphic package... looks like someone wanted a BAT?

These early light weights were over looked for a long time.

Pardon my ignorance, but what do the proper csl wheels like like compared with these?

My csl was fitted with 16 inch alpinas long before i bought it, and i would one day like to track down an extra set of the right wheels.

Thanks
Scott

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but what do the proper csl wheels like like compared with these?

My csl was fitted with 16 inch alpinas long before i bought it, and i would one day like to track down an extra set of the right wheels.

Thanks
Scott

Those look like 14" x 7" Alpina wheels like those on the Great White... :D

Nash

Reaction score
I would be careful on the engine gents, I was very specific at the auction and was informed the original engine was on its way.

I was also shown a picture of the original engine, so I am pretty sure ( never certain) that the engine was wrong. Now maybe BMW SF has fitted the original engine, although all I saw was a block and as we all know, you never take the original engine out because it is perfect :)

Good luck to anybody looking and please take a picture of that trunk for us all….I should have

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I saw it up close at the Gooding auction and was somewhat disappointed for the reasons listed here.

m73

Reaction score
I took a quick glance at the pictures and thought this could have been an original Black BAT with its spoiler kit uninstalled.

It does look tired and if not original, then pardon my earlier 'price' comment.

MF