72 2002 tii Colorado Color

72 Keso

Reaction score
Howdy

In 5/2015 I bought my wife a 72 2002 tii Colorado/Black interior. The license plate was "El Keso". Hence the name "72 Keso". It has a sunroof, A/C and 5 speed transmission. Has an alpine detachable face radio with speakers cut out in door panels (ouch). But I have original radio. The original engine was replaced with a 74 tii engine. I have the complete original engine in my garage (without A/c and wrong pulley for A/C) HENCE THE OBSESSION BEGINS.

I love the way this car drives and how practical it is. Kids can fit in the back seat! Not sure I love all the attention men are going to give my wife when she drives this car...

My neighbor purchased around 2005 and had been fixing the car up. "appears" rust free, no apparent accidents, recent paint job (with alot of overspray in engine and other areas) but everything seems to work.

The plan is to keep as is and enjoy. Slowly get back to complete original shape (with the possible exception of the 5 speed). Long term may even strip and repaint and....

Now I know I have to put the original engine back in. Which means I have to buy a shell for the perfectly good 74 tii engine. Maybe let my son who is 15 used it when done....

However, I have fallen in love with the coupe. More power, more room.....so I think I am looking for a coupe to buy for myself (why should my family have all the fun). Hence why I joined this forum. No hurry to buy, hopefully I will find something before I get priced out.

I will probably spend more time that I should on this forum and 2002 forum learning about the cars from your comments.

I saw HB Chris post about the HB Car Show which my wife and I attend. Proud to say "El Keso" as we call the 2002 took 3rd place in street. Sorry to say there were only 3 cars in that category. However, we met a bunch of great owners and learned alot about the car. Look forward to meeting the rest of you.

Raul
(Spouse of Chris who owns a 72 2002 tii)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Raul,

It was so nice meeting you and your wife on Sunday, I love your 02. And you got to see six coupes and learned a little about the pitfalls of your obsession!

Chris

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Welcome! I love '02s, but for a weekend cruiser I like coupes a bit more. They're not as fun to drive in the mountains, but it's a less frantic ride to the wine country and back.