71 3.0S on ebay (NMNA)

jefftepper

Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-BMW-3...ash=item25f7d501ef:g:NPMAAOSwVK9bDhRR&vxp=mtr

Stumbled upon this fine example of an E3. Several observations/questions:
While listed as a '71 year model, it appears to have '72 taillights and rear pillar vents, when did the later features make it into production?
IIRC the front seat belts in my Mom's '71 Bavaria (owned by her in the mid-1970's) were not inertia reel style.
I was not aware that the 1971 Bavaria was available with a 3.0 engine, am I mistaken?
In 1971 it was possible to order a US spec car for European delivery that could later be shipped back home at the end of the trip. If this car was originally a European market car and imported to the US in 1972, how would it have gotten through US customs without US market equipment and apparently California smog?
The blue California plates displayed on the car are consistent with a 1972 issue date, curious if the seller has DMV documentation showing that plate assigned to that car from back in the day.
Last, but not least, any thoughts, on the asking price/market value?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is indeed very nice looking. It almost looks like a mercedes from behind. I wish there was some way to let drivers know that is a BMW.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All 3.0 Bavarias have the later style C pillar vent, tail lights changed during the 2.8 Bav production run to the newer style. They still came with fixed seat belts as well. Those are genuine BMW coco mats too, our 2800 has the same ones.

2.8 Bavs were made until April of 71, the first 3.0 Bav was produced in July 71 so it would have been a 72 in the US.

73tiiguy

Reaction score
Has "S" door, fender and belt line trims, but no power windows or sunroof? Seller is asking for allot of Benjamins.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have always liked bavarias in polaris. this one looks pretty nice. expensive, yes ... but just like seeing 2800cs getting a big number, i am really happy to see an e3 move up in value as they are great cars