71 - 2800cs on ebay

ny30cs

Reaction score
I bought that car in San Francisco. Agreed on a price with the BMW dealer then he called a few days later and told me it was sold prior to our agreement. It was a bummer. Looks like a nice car but was posted on the forum before.

dealhunter0

Reaction score
Same car was for sale at BMW SF a couple of months ago... listed for 23k I think. I believe a couple folks inspected it then and commented that it looked solid.

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dumb question but what makes you think it is not leather? Surface too shiny or too smooth?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it could be leather, but it looks too uniform - if its leather, it probably is not a very high grade. when leather is stretched (upholstery process), the colors change slightly. most leather patinas as it absorbs oils, vinyl doesn't. the door panels were redone, they are exactly the same color - and its doubtful that they used leather on the door panels. sure they could have matched the vinyl paint on the door panels and arm rests with the seats ... but ... i doubt it. i can tell you that there are vinyls that can fool a lot of people - until you see the back of the material. they are soft like leather and in some they have imitated the mottled color / distressing.

better leathers are aniline dyed - color thru and thru. less expensive leathers are surface dyed (effectively spray painted). you can scratch thru the color. again the back of the leather tells the story. surface dyed leather is very uniform in color. aniline dyed leather tends to have a less perfect color uniformity as the leather absorbs the color differently. sheen is not a good indicator of quality. sheen is based on how the leather is finished and to some degree how it was tanned. there are many factors, depending on waxes or natural finish vs. chromium used during tanning. many, many options.

please don't get me wrong, i think this is a nice looking car - if it is leather, its a plus. but if it was nice leather it would be even better. but since the upholstery was probably done by the previous owner, the current owner might not really know.

sirshorty

Reaction score
2800cs in Miami

I remember that bmw sf was asking 29k for this car less than a year ago and then dropped the price to 19k a few months ago. I spoke with the present owner in miami who is a dealer and has a personal car collection & this is what he told me along with me my observations.

1. car was restored in the 80's but has bubbles around front windshield and bondo in places like wheel arches, etc. it has been in SF showroom for 20 years basically not driven so no exposure to N. cali rain may explain why no rust has come back yet.
2. interior door panels were custom made from leather to match seats. not like stock pattern smooth where stock has a textured material above arm rest. headrest side pieces are black not tan like stock ones. all leather seems to be recreated instead of using stock materials. I would think one could still order a new interior from bmw or even World in the 80's. I prefer the look of stock . hard to tell the quality of the leather used.
3. a/c comes on blows warm
4. gauge lights don't work.
5. doesn't look like a stock bmw color to me. too light & metallic to be tundra or agave and too dark to be turkis.
6. hubcaps seem dull and roundel stickers are faded
7. he did some front suspension and carb work .
8. 20 year old tires
Overall looks like a decent driver that will need some things addressed since it was left unused for so long. 22k seems reasonable but deans car for 24k was a better deal IMHO.

execmalibu

Reaction score
Scott I have to disagree about surface dyed leather. German leather was surface dyed

Scott I have to disagree about surface dyed leather. German leather was surface dyed...
"Better leathers are aniline dyed - color thru and thru. less expensive leathers are surface dyed (effectively spray painted). you can scratch thru the color. again the back of the leather tells the story."

In the old days up to around the 1980s German and most automotive leather was surface dyed and this was considered top quality. I have some NOS German leather for early 911s and it is almost bullet proof... It is true that if you aggressively scratch it that you will see the underlying color but that is also why when perforated you see the same contrast in the holes (originality detail). Connally leather when they were in business had numerous grades of surface dyed leather. Some great for Rolls Royce some other was total Sh!t...

Back in 1982 I went to but my Dino Spyder. I told the owner that I doubted the car had 20,000 miles because the dye on the seats was all rubbed off. It turns out I learned that Ferrari bought the absolute lowest grade of Connally leather and it was famous for the dye rubbing off almost immediately. In the late 1970s this was a huge problem for the 308 Ferrari guys because within the first 1,500 miles their seats started to show wear!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
okay Jeff, you are correct that there is some excellent surface dyed leather - very little is good these days. i over-simplified my discussion. so, lets restart this discussion and talk about top grain and full grain leather ... and then there's the anomaly "full top grain leather". which do you think is better?

the answer is full grain leather. the leather hide is split into layers. the very top is the "full grain". many people think that it would be top grain. top is short for "topped" grain, which means that the top layer or layers have been removed. why is this important? the full grain still contains the pores which lets the hide breathe. it also allows you to clean the leather and rehydrate with preservative oils to keep the leather from drying out due to ultraviolet. top grain doesn't breathe - which is why many cars perforate the hides - to make them more comfortable. the farther down the hide, the lower the grade of leather. there are other factors that determine the grade of leather - one is which what kind of animal the hide comes from - calf, cow, ox, etc.

if you go back to connolly, they worked the color into the hide, then ran the hyde over rollers / knobs to return the suppleness to the hide. jaguar / rolls hides were then antiqued. they had a very unique process. connolly primarily used the top of the hide (full grain). so this was the top of the market at the time, and one of the best surface applied finish ... but make no mistake, they worked the color into the surface. one of the companies that does similar things today is a company called Edelman. Moore + Giles does both surface finishes and aniline finishes.

my point about most auto leathers today is they are generally the cheapest of leathers with the cheapest finish processes. and many of them look worse than the best vinyls. fine leather has character - if you look at old connolly leather, you will see the grain - now you see embossed grain - especially with top grain.

this is a subject that i am still simplifying ... if you want more detail, happy to provide.

Scott I have to disagree about surface dyed leather. German leather was surface dyed...
"Better leathers are aniline dyed - color thru and thru. less expensive leathers are surface dyed (effectively spray painted). you can scratch thru the color. again the back of the leather tells the story."

In the old days up to around the 1980s German and most automotive leather was surface dyed and this was considered top quality. I have some NOS German leather for early 911s and it is almost bullet proof... It is true that if you aggressively scratch it that you will see the underlying color but that is also why when perforated you see the same contrast in the holes (originality detail). Connally leather when they were in business had numerous grades of surface dyed leather. Some great for Rolls Royce some other was total Sh!t...

Back in 1982 I went to but my Dino Spyder. I told the owner that I doubted the car had 20,000 miles because the dye on the seats was all rubbed off. It turns out I learned that Ferrari bought the absolute lowest grade of Connally leather and it was famous for the dye rubbing off almost immediately. In the late 1970s this was a huge problem for the 308 Ferrari guys because within the first 1,500 miles their seats started to show wear!

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
What is 'good' leather for a car?

I'm just a novice at this, but 'painted' leather doesn't seem all bad for an automotive application. Those dyed leathers that feel so buttery soft and rich are more prone to staining, scuffing, and other maladies that change their appearance.

In an everyday driver, the leather must endure a horrific amount of abuse. I think the painted leathers are actually pretty good at standing up to that.

bubukitty

Reaction score
I posted on this car a while back. Here is the link with some photos I took of the car in the dealer's warehouse where they kept their personal cars.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9901&highlight=san+francisco

From what I saw, the car was in excellent condition...nice paint and interior. No rust that I could detect and I was able to get underneath it as you can see in the pictures. The paint appeared to be Tundra from what I could tell. Similar to a car on the Coupeking web site. Sounds like the person in FL got a good deal on the car and has a reasonable mark up on it. It looks a lot cleaner and detailed on the EBay listing than when I saw it in S.F.

BBK

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
leather - continued

John,

the finishing of leather is a complex thing. for instance, Edelman makes a crypton finished leather. you can wipe anything off of crypton. i'm not sure how u/v affects crypton. spinneybeck makes an acqua leather. its made for outdoor pool usage - you can wipe off sun tan oils and is resistant to water and staining and u/v resistant. these companies and moore + giles makes several aviation grade leathers that can take u/v, look and feel luxe and are reasonable at avoiding staining. the make up of the dye is what is different. the crypton and acqua finishes are aniline. the moore + giles aviation leathers are also aniline. as per the discussion of connolly, not all surface applied dyes are equal. the majority of the affordable leather is asian sourced - primarily Tiger leather company from China. the product varies greatly from hide to hide. buttery feeling leather is primarily calf leather (smaller hides) and is primarily used for gloves and very supple furniture. there is leather that is pretty soft that is durable.

in an automotive environment, there are 2 dangers - scratching / cutting and staining. in the late 80's / 90's BMW changed to ox hides - cheaper, thicker and tougher. they didn't scratch or tear easily. they were coarser grain, so they absorbed the surface applied dye pretty well. the seats of the time were firm and this leather fit the design. our seats in the e9 are more supple - not calf, but full grain - similar quality to higher end connolly. there are many aniline leathers of similar quality to connolly. i can't tell you how disappointed i was in the quality of the leather from world uph. - hard / stiff and plastic looking. i have seen some of the leather from gahh as well - a little softer but still plastic looking. i haven't seen the connolly stock that world supposedly has to comment on.

separate from this discussion is the price. leather runs from a wholesale cost of $3 / sf to $25/sf. most of the leathers i am talking about are in the $6 to $12 / sf range. luckily for me, i can call in favors as i have specified over 20,000sf of leather over the last 10 years - closer to 50.000sf over the last 20 years.

I'm just a novice at this, but 'painted' leather doesn't seem all bad for an automotive application. Those dyed leathers that feel so buttery soft and rich are more prone to staining, scuffing, and other maladies that change their appearance.

In an everyday driver, the leather must endure a horrific amount of abuse. I think the painted leathers are actually pretty good at standing up to that.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, you running a Chaps factory?? <G>

I put some Leatherique on my Coupes original leather a couple of weeks ago. Sure seems soft now. Hope that meets with your approval.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bob,

leatherique is great product. i hope you used the pristine clean and then used the rejuvenator. their surface dye works good too.

btw, if you have cardboard leather. take the seats out of the car, put the rejuvenator oil on - wrap the seats in big plastic bags and put in the sun. you might have to wait for a nice sunny day in canada - eh?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Connolly leather?

A few years ago I had a place in the UK redo some interior areas of a car. I asked the owner if he could use the famous Connolly hides. He laughed and said the was no such thing as Connolly leather anymore because the firm was long gone. It was his opinion that people continue to use the name because of it's name. Furthermore, he said you can get leather processed like connolly did, and people mistakenly call this connolly. Finally, he said the best leather for vintage cars now comes from Germany.

Well, as I said, I don't know what's the truth, but I would love to see some of those better leathers. The stuff in my Jag is pretty soft and makes the stuff in my modern BMW and Merc feel like plastic. But it spots if it gets wet and the BNW and Merc don't. Hide food or a quick rub down with Lexol make the spots go away, but it definitely requires a level of maintenance and care that the average BMW/Merc owner wouldn't put up with.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bob,

leatherique is great product. i hope you used the pristine clean and then used the rejuvenator. their surface dye works good too.

btw, if you have cardboard leather. take the seats out of the car, put the rejuvenator oil on - wrap the seats in big plastic bags and put in the sun. you might have to wait for a nice sunny day in canada - eh?

Oddly enough we almost hit 80 f about a week ago. I put some garbage bags over the seats and used a small electric cube heater to get the interior up to 90f for about 1 day. Used both the oil and Pristine clean. The shift boot was the most cardboard of my leather and it now feels quite supple.

To not go too off topic, would be curious to see more photos of this Turkis Coupe. Looks nice.