55L gas tank in a CSA 1974 ??

pmansson

Reaction score
Did all or some of the US spec, automatic E9s come with the smallest gas tank à la 2800CS ??
It seems that this car of mine has just that....
I have new, 72 L tanks both pre and post `73, so I might change it to gain some mileage in between pit stops on the Autobahn. The car has a 3.5 L Motronic engine, 3.45 and 5-speed OD gearbox and the MPG is quite low. About 14 MPG at a cruising speed of 100 MPH.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine was a 72 CSA and definitely cannot hold 72 liters.

At US speed limit, the owner probably cannot hold the corresponding 5 hours between pit stops either...

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
At US speed limit, the owner probably cannot hold the corresponding 5 hours between pit stops either...
Spoken (written) truly from the Human 'spleen' point of view although with a kidney belt it could be possible to suppress the 'urge to go'?...Note all the ads these days for men's prostrate remedy where all the activities (flying, kyaking, fishing) are ones of the sort that don't offer the men anywhere to stop and go?

We are now in the class where we are being compared to the women of old, that needed hourly facility stops...etc.

lol!

Woz

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
RealOEM shows the tank at 70l which is about 18.4 US gallons and this is what my `73 holds. Did any coupe (perhaps the 2.5) ever have a smaller tank? The 2002 tank was 46l or 12.2 gallons.

gwittman

Reaction score
My 2800 CS holds 18 gallons (probably 18.4). I have driven it several times from Costa Mesa to Monterey easily on one tank. That takes well over 5 hours at speeds not much over the speed limit. My tank did not last that long even when I was younger.

Edit; I have the 14.5 gallon gas tank. Maybe my wife is right when she says I have too many vehicles. I am starting to get the specifications mixed among them. However, the rest of the story is true and I am sticking to it.

Last edited:

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
My 2800 CS holds 18 gallons (probably 18.4). I have driven it several times from Costa Mesa to Monterey easily on one tank. That takes well over 5 hours at speeds not much over the speed limit. My tank did not last that long even when I was younger.

Being an aerospace engineer (my dad was at the 'Cape' when I was young) you must fully appreciate the way the early NASA astronauts must have felt during those long delays on the pad waiting for blastoff on the early space missions!

:mrgreen:

That drive up the coast (I stopped at Big Sur where we have a home) was at least five hours from Newport Beach!

Cheers!

Ran

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Gas Tank Capacities

RealOEM shows the tank at 70l which is about 18.4 US gallons and this is what my `73 holds. Did any coupe (perhaps the 2.5) ever have a smaller tank? The 2002 tank was 46l or 12.2 gallons.
According to the orange parts books, only 2800CS/A got 55 liter tanks. 3.0CS/A got 70 liter tanks, except 74-on got 72 liter tanks (including 2.5CS/A).

pmansson

Reaction score
Could the sender be faulty.....? telling me the tank is empty far too often and too soon, thus only accepting say 45-50 L when in reality there is much more gas left.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
It is possible that you have the sender for a 55l tank in a 72l tank. The smaller tank sender will fit in the deeper tank and will indicate the tank is empty when there is still several liters/gallons left.