3.0Si parts to E9

mm55mm

Reaction score
General question. I have the opportunity to pick up a 3.0Si for next to nothing - I presume engine parts are common with E9?, how about the other parts - just thought it might be a cheap donor?

nashvillecat

Reaction score
General question. I have the opportunity to pick up a 3.0Si for next to nothing - I presume engine parts are common with E9?, how about the other parts - just thought it might be a cheap donor?

General answer. Answers vary depending upon who you ask. If your investment is small and you have a place to store things, why not? But the same might be said for acquiring an E12 or E24. It behooves you to peruse the archives as this subject is quite broad.

Not all E9's are the same and the list of common parts may be as long as the list of exceptions. Much depends upon what you need to replace or repair. In some cases, the parts from an E3 might not be considered an upgrade if transplanted in an E9. On the other hand, a lesser part that works, is often more valuable than anything that does not work! :wink:

With certain exceptions, running gear is perfect swap. Brakes share common parts, but not all E9's had 4 wheel disks and not all disks were vented (different calipers and rotors). Suspensions share similar parts, but there are exceptions, e.g., shocks are different in rear. Dash/instruments - clearly dissimilar, but much of the electrics and a few exterior pieces are transferrable. Interior may look similar, but is hardly identical, except for trim pieces. E3 Front Seats may recline, but I don't think they are designed to fold forward for rear seat ingress. Glass is different, so is sheet metal.

hth