3.0CS car bogging down at around 4k rpm

CTD

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Since a few weeks I am having an issue with my 3.0CS. Engine was completely rebuilt, new coil, distributor, cap, wires, sparks,...
Whenever I drive it and the revs get up to 4k rpm the engine starts bogging and won't stop untill I let go of the throttle and keep it below 4k rpms where it runs fine.

Checked the timing, spark advance, carbs were tuned-in.

Does anyone have an idea?

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Are you running points/condenser or an electronic triggering system like a Pertronix? I'm a big believer in Pertronix on 2002s, but when I installed one in my Bavaria, it caused the car to do exactly what you're describing. Put the points and condenser back in and the problem went away. Never figured out why.

CTD

Reaction score
Are you running points/condenser or an electronic triggering system like a Pertronix? I'm a big believer in Pertronix on 2002s, but when I installed one in my Bavaria, it caused the car to do exactly what you're describing. Put the points and condenser back in and the problem went away. Never figured out why.
I am using this:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Clogged fuel filter, bad fuel pump, leak in fuel hose at tank can do this. What model coil are you using?

Last edited:
Reactions: CTD

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
It could be a number of things as mentioned above, but as you are running a 123 check that the coil's 1ary resistance is over 1.0 Ohms.

Reactions: CTD

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Has it done this ever since " Engine was completely rebuilt, new coil, distributor, cap, wires, sparks,..." or did it just start doing this?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have done about 3.5k miles since everything was rebuilt. It started doing that all of a sudden.
That helps. I would be curious to know if it bogs down at 4k RPM in all gears. If it is fuel delivery, fuel filter, air filter, AFR, or carb related, the effects would differ in different gears as it takes less fuel to rev up in lower gears than higher gears I think. I assume with no load, in neutral, the engine revs fine to redline, right?

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
always alert, today i had an stupid problem,

well you have to be very attentive

Today I started, and so I didn't want to give it importance, but I heard a whistle, and it seemed strange to me.

In the end I started to check and the tube that goes from the carburetors to the air filter was loose.

Looking closely it was cracked, I cut 10mm off the tip and reconnected it, no problems.

CTD

Reaction score
Here's what I did so far:

-Removed the resistor as it was still attached;
-Replaced coil to a new one recommended by 123ignition.

Made no difference.

When I rev at idle it revs high fine.
When I drive in 1st it revs untill about 5k and then starts bogging/stuttering
In second gear about untill 4500rpm and in third untill 3800-4000rpm. When I let go of the throttle it runs fine again.

As you all figured, the car is an automatic.

Fuel system is clean.
Mechanical pump maybe?

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
Sounds to me like a fuel issue. You addressed the obvious ignition issues above. The issue seems to be load related too. If it was simply an engine rpm ignition issue, then you would expect it to occur under no load as well. Check your fuel pump and filters. If it is not that, then perhaps the rebuild of the carbs was not perfect, although that seems unlikely, unless the radically re-jetted them or something. I suspect you are simply going lean at high revs under load. You might also check to see if perhaps you have a latent power brake booster leak. As the revs get higher under lead the vacuum in the intake manifold increases, if that is somehow initiating a vacuum leak, presumably in the booster, then that would also lean out the engine without the carbs knowing anything about it, thereby causing the bogging/misfire.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
As the revs get higher under lead the vacuum in the intake manifold increases
Actually the opposite. Full throttle pulling hard there is near zero manifold vacuum. Highest vacuum is with a trailing throttle down hill. Idle and steady state cruise also prodices good vacuum. That's not to say there isn't a vacuum leak somewhere that is contributing to the problem.

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
Actually the opposite. Full throttle pulling hard there is near zero manifold vacuum. Highest vacuum is with a trailing throttle down hill. Idle and steady state cruise also prodices good vacuum. That's not to say there isn't a vacuum leak somewhere that is contributing to the problem.
Interesting. I questioned myself when I wrote that, but didn't think it through. If that is the case, then a secretive vacuum leak would not then present itself under open throttle conditions, so that points to fuel starvation. Either a fuel pump/filter issue, or a carb issue. I'm suspecting a carb issue if the fuel pump and filters have not changed since the rebuild...