3.0 CSL RHD in recent major car crash

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Always sad to see a car crash. I hope there were no major injuries for John in the CSL. Hopefully, he will be able to re-build the nice Inka CSL.

/Henric

Last edited:

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Christ thats nasty to look at, he was lucky not to be badly hurt but i guess our cars and especailly a csl are one big crumple zone.

Stefan

Reaction score
Really a major crash!!
I can't read anything about any injuries for the csl driver. So I hope he's rather ok!

Looks like a front wing impact. Possible the least bad way to crash with an E9.

Due to the bad safety, this is a really nightmare for any E9 driver!!! I directly think about when I been near to crash with my E9. Heavy cold sweat afterwards....

With this impact, I think the frame is badly damaged. :-(

Still, life is more important than anything in the world.

Fun and safe E9 driving to all of you :)

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I saw a car at La Jolla Independent with front damage in the same spot and much LESS of an impact and that car was done...
Go to the CS registry and call that poor girl "gone forever"
does anyone know the owner so we could put the VIN in our registry?

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
It can be fixed like all things but it won't be cheap or the same ever again

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Shame to see that happen to anyone in any car, and always a relief when the passengers survive.

This was not an RHD car though (owner say it was Chris Amon's company car from BMW.)

It is already a miracle that the owner survived with only 'soft tissue injuries', look at where the damage is and say to your self "is/was this a right hand drive car"

It is a total loss. If you consider that a tragedy, put the tragedy in perspective: "survivors"

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Driver OK

On the BMW UK Facebook page the driver posted that he had only minor injuries. Amazing. The driver of the other car fell asleep at the wheel and was on the wrong side of the road. The CSL driver had time to come to a full stop before he was hit. The person in the other car was more badly injured, but survived.
Sounds like the insurer for the CSL wants to total the car out, but the owner is not sure if that is the right way to go.
Scott

heroszeros

Reaction score
that was, unfortunately ...me.. not the UK CSL, but the minor damage one Stan refereed to earlier. That car has been registered as gone..
Looking from the image, yikes!
I remember walking out of my wreck thinking I was ok, only to realize that I was the "crumple zone" a few hours later covered in bruises..
I'm glad to hear the driver made it out, and cringe at the sight of accidents since-

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow, so much for the third brake light discussion on the other thread...
Glad the coupe driver walked away and is now focused on restoring the car.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It can be fixed like all things but it won't be cheap or the same ever again

you r right rohan, the car will never be the same again, but it can be repaired at half the cost of the insurance repair quote because i know a certain gentleman here in England, that can repair this car and he picks n chooses his own work.

he repairs heavy heavy damaged cars, that the Insurance companies class as a total loss, even with all their hi-tec equipment in the bodyshops, cars are still being written off/total loss.

Last edited:

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Back in the day when all the sheet metal was available from the dealer and good solid (rust free) used front clips were available from wrecking yards that coupe may have been repairable. Today with the limited sheet metal availability for our coupes what is already a major repair might be nearly impossible, well at least at a cost that makes any kind of financial sense. Keep in mind that the photo is showing the better side of the car. ~ John Buchtenkirch

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Did anyone notice that the impact was so violent that the panel under the rear window of the "good side" had buckled?

Honolulu

Reaction score
yummmy!

we got parts! dibs on the (...fill in your list here...)

I was stopped at a light a few years ago and watched a lady in a 750iL make an ill considered left turn. From the opposite direction came a Taurus wagon driven by some kid, who locked up the brakes all the way into the 7er. I suspect he was going a bit faster than he mighta oughta.

In the instants post-crash, the 7 kinda eased in my direction... I had nowhere to go, first in lilne, other cars in back of me... fortunately it stopped a few feet from me.

No one was hurt but it was a shaky moment for all.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that an experienced frame and body guy would rather fix that CSL than fix a rust bucket. You'd be amazed at what I see get fixed these days, and some of the best craftsmen work on their own, not with body shops.