2800CS Taillight lenses

rbtrader

Site Donor
Reaction score
The taillight lenses on my 2800CS have some minor cracks and are showing their age. I do not see any US taillight lenses available anywhere. It looks like there are some European style taillight lenses available from some parts distributors and European Ebay sources.

What are the differences between the US and European taillight lenses? Will the European taillight lenses fit on my US car? Anyone know the best source to replace taillight lenses?
Thanks in advance, Rich

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hey Rich,

european / us taillights are the same. there are a few minor exceptions. french taillights have an amber back-up light - coupeking has one of those for sale for 1500 bucks and its NOS. i have heard that Carl Nelson is selling a set of taillights for 3500 bucks - no idea of the condition (i assume NOS). very early 2800cs and 2000cs had red turn signal lenses as compared to amber.

what to look out for - pitted chrome. if you have perfect lenses and pitted chrome you are likely to damage the lenses trying to remove them so that you can rechrome the frames. the ONLY source for new lenses is from our friend Stan (on this forum), the downside is there is a pretty decent sized waiting list and you are probably about 1 year away. look very closely at the lights on ebay, i have seen mostly cracked lenses / pitted chrome for 500 to 750 bucks each.

very occasionally NOS taillights come up for sale - they are a minimum of 1800 / pair.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hope you don't have to wait too long. the left side is the hardest to find a good taillight for because of the tailpipe below. the heat tends to do bad things for the light.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Send a PM
email address
color choice
old school (red turn signals)
conventional (amber turn signals, clear backup lights)
French (amber turn signals, amber backup lights)