2800 CS differential or not?

Dales

Reaction score
The owners manual for my 1970 2800cs says my car has a ZF Lok-O-Magic disc type limited slip differential. With the car on a lift, if you spin one rear wheel by hand, the opposite rear wheel does not move. Do I have a non functioning slip differential or an open non slip differential? Did all 2800cs’ come from the factory with limited slip differentials? The attached picture shows the numbers on the differential casing. Do they identify what type of differential I have? Thanks for your help. Dale

Attachments

• IMG_3900.jpeg
    IMG_3900.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 67

Wladek

Reaction score
The owners manual for my 1970 2800cs says my car has a ZF Lok-O-Magic disc type limited slip differential. With the car on a lift, if you spin one rear wheel by hand, the opposite rear wheel does not move. Do I have a non functioning slip differential or an open non slip differential? Did all 2800cs’ come from the factory with limited slip differentials? The attached picture shows the numbers on the differential casing. Do they identify what type of differential I have? Thanks for your help. Dale
It might be an LSD with worn parts inside (dog ears/friction discs/tension springs plates).

11:38 = 3.45 ratio = 2800cs

If it was just a working non-LSD diff your opposite wheel should spin other direction while hand spinning of the first one.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
My LSD on my 71' did not pass the spin test when I was first inspecting it. It has the S on the housing.

Dales

Reaction score
Yes, the differentials need a certain amount of torque before they will lock.
Thanks to everyone for your help. So I have a nonfunctional LSD. The S= LSD. The 11 38 = 1:3.45 ratio = 2800cs. Does anyone know what the 3 stands for or if every 2800cs left the factory with a LSD? The car is on the lift getting other mechanical work done, so I can’t aggravate my neighbor with a burn out. Thanks again, Dale.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you divide 38 by 11 you get 3:45. This is the ratio of the number of teeth on the pinion gear (11) to the number of teeth on the ring gear (38).

BMW did ship differentials with 0% lockup. If you look inside the top hole, you can see the carrier, but when disassembled, they have spacers instead of clutch plates and they do not lock up. The one I have does not have an S on it.

Again, without a road test, I would not conclude that the one you have is not a limited slip dif.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are they really diffs with the limited slip but with no "S" mark" stamped?

Are there differentials with the oil cooler (external) but without and lsd. I was wondering if such configuration would made any sense in practice.

roundel

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your help. So I have a nonfunctional LSD. The S= LSD. The 11 38 = 1:3.45 ratio = 2800cs. Does anyone know what the 3 stands for or if every 2800cs left the factory with a LSD? The car is on the lift getting other mechanical work done, so I can’t aggravate my neighbor with a burn out. Thanks again, Dale.
You may well find that it is an LSD. If it is built with no pre-load the wheels will turn independently of each other. This was the case with older 2002 diffs......

Fritzie

Reaction score
Check this by opening the top mounted aluminium breather plate. I don’t know if you can do that with the differential under your car. Maybe with a mirror?

Mine differential has a small “s”, not the big S or painted.
1712228629613.jpeg

1712228273391.jpeg

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
And, in addition to the image above with the green text; if you open the vent cap, you can spin the internals and a sequence of numbers & letters will appear. They indicate how the LSD left the factory (it could have been rebuild, changing the lock % ratio for instance). here's a pic of my LSD unit:
20231118_S25.jpg

Wladek

Reaction score
Again, without a road test, I would not conclude that the one you have is not a limited slip dif.
Don't get me wrong, but you have wrong thinking of LSD work.

When both wheels are loosen - mechanism is locked & both wheels should spin in the same direction.
In good working diff - for example LSD 25% mean that until torque reach ca. 5mkp (difference between the wheels) - mechanism could not slip.
That's why LSD mechanism have preload/tension springs inside along with dog ears & friction discs, that keep it locked up to specific torque.

That's why when for example there is no grip on the road (rain/snow/sand etc.) both wheels with working LSD will spin in the same direction, same speed, same force & that's why LSD is needed for the drifting.

LSD 40% = ca. 15mkp (force difference between wheels) until one of the wheels start to slip (will start to work as open diff).

LSD 0% = 0 mkp, so no force is needed, that's why it's called open. That mean when there will be any difference in force between wheels, all power immediately will go on the wheel with less grip.

Race/track cars have even higher lock %, because most of time they are on dry high grip asphalt & need higher forces until one of the wheels start the "correction" function.

Last edited:

Ian C

Site Donor
Reaction score
The 25% diffs in our cars, also 2002s use Belville springs to set preload, and can be bench tested with a torque wrench by immobilising one flange as described in the blue books. The 40% diffs are of a different design, no Belville springs, no preload no bench test. The wheels can move independently of each other unless torque is applied to the pinion. The test BMW used was to place a roller stand under one wheel and if the car could be driven off the stand, the diff is good. A dirt road burnout is the best way to see if a 40% diff is locking up or not. The lack or amount of preload changes the turn in characteristic of the car, something race car tuners play with but not really noticeable for most of us.

Jon B

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, but you have wrong thinking of LSD work.
Wladek, for the S40 differential, Ohmess is correct.

As Ian explained, the S40 does not have Belleville springs to pre-tension the clutches, as the S25 does.
The S40 will only develop lock when a certain level of torque is applied to the differential.

E9madada

Site Donor
Reaction score
Check this by opening the top mounted aluminium breather plate. I don’t know if you can do that with the differential under your car. Maybe with a mirror?

Mine differential has a small “s”, not the big S or painted.
View attachment 179886

View attachment 179885
I’d be interested on clarification on this, my diff housing also has the small s stamped in the same place!
Diff is on car so not able to look inside.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong. But are you saying that some side-loader differentials in the e9 cars have lsd but it’s not visible because there is no external reservoir and tube as you would see on cars like the m90 M 535i, and the early euro 635 csi? If so, it will be worth looking at my diffs for a hopeful lsd surprise. I. Reality, I don’t drive them hard enough to worry about it. It’s just cool to have