225/50R16 rear tires hard to find...alternatives?

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey folks, I ordered new tires two months ago from Tirerack to replace my current Conti Extreme Contact DW's I've had since 2011; these are max performance summer tires. Tirerack's comparable update tire is the Extreme Contact Sport 02 and, while they have the 205/55/R16 size in stock, 225/50 has been backordered and they have no updates from Conti on when resupply will happen.

There are really no other max performance summer tires available and this makes me think of two new options that I'd like some feedback on -- in case the Sport 02s in 225/50 size don't become available soon:
1) go with 205/55R16 at all 4 corners
2) consider ultra high performance all season tires from Conti, Michelin, etc. in the staggered 205/225 size (these tires seem to have good ratings and I don't really drive my E9 that hard that often)

I'll be calling Conti next week to see what's up and I don't mind waiting a little longer for them to resupply, but just sizing up my options...

thanks all,
Wayne

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@E9Wayne - 225/50-16 is one of the vintage 911 tire sizes, so i don't think they are in danger of being discontinued. the conti extreme contact sport 02 is a good tire. i looked at the michelin pilot sport all season 4 and the 225/50-16 is also backordered

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you drive in temperatures below 40 degrees, even in dry weather, you should seriously consider the all season version of the Contis Sfdon recommended. Summer tires have very little traction under 40 degrees, so they aren’t a very safe option in cold weather. Since you’re not that concerned about ultimate performance I don’t see a significant downside for all season use.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you drive in temperatures below 40 degrees, even in dry weather, you should seriously consider the all season version of the Contis Sfdon recommended. Summer tires have very little traction under 40 degrees, so they aren’t a very safe option in cold weather. Since you’re not that concerned about ultimate performance I don’t see a significant downside for all season use.
That is why I run all-seasons on my E38 and E23. While they won't see snow, they will see temps at or below freezing on occasion.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thanks guys, good call on the temp as I often drive my E9 to the local Cars & Coffee and it's below 40 much of the winter mornings. I'm going with these in my current 205/225 staggered size.

CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS​

otter74

Reaction score
thanks guys, good call on the temp as I often drive my E9 to the local Cars & Coffee and it's below 40 much of the winter mornings. I'm going with these in my current 205/225 staggered size.

CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS​

I’ve had the few-years-ago version of this tire on my 911 for a while, and I’m quit’s happy with them.