2000CS ignition key

Gelatinous

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question about my 2000CS. I purchased it without a key for the ignition or doors. Is it possible to take the VIN to BMW and have a key made? Has anyone done this with a 2000CS and been successful?

Also are the door/trunk/ignition keys the same?

Thanks,

Chris

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I would imagine they will ask for the VIN and the tumbler codes. The locks may have changed compared to their records, so they will likely ask for information on them.

Gelatinous

Reaction score
Ok, I emailed BMW Victoria asking about getting a key cut and what information was needed. Their parts dept. got in touch with BMW (Canada I'm assuming) and was informed that they are not able to cut keys for a car this old. He also was unable to tell me if my key is a supposed to be a standard type key or if it's supposed to be a dimple type key.

I am wondering if anyone has an idea of who I should get in touch with about this?

I will be pulling the ignition cylinder once I have the car at a place that I can work on it, and I am going to check with my coworker to see if he's had any luck finding the key.

Also, does anyone know if the 200CS had a steering lock mechanism? I seriously hope it doesn't.....

Last edited:

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Ok, I emailed BMW Victoria asking about getting a key cut and what information was needed. Their parts dept. got in touch with BMW (Canada I'm assuming) and was informed that they are not able to cut keys for a car this old. He also was unable to tell me if my key is a supposed to be a standard type key or if it's supposed to be a dimple type key.

I am wondering if anyone has an idea of who I should get in touch with about this?

I will be pulling the ignition cylinder once I have the car at a place that I can work on it, and I am going to check with my coworker to see if he's had any luck finding the key.

Also, does anyone know if the 200CS had a steering lock mechanism? I seriously hope it doesn't.....

If the keys are like the keys on my 3.0 CS, the ignition and door keys are different styles. The door and trunk keys are full-length dimple-type. The ignition key is a symmetrical, short, edge-type key.

Gelatinous

Reaction score
If the keys are like the keys on my 3.0 CS, the ignition and door keys are different styles. The door and trunk keys are full-length dimple-type. The ignition key is a symmetrical, short, edge-type key.

I just checked RealOEM and found that the door lock is shared with the 3.0CS and the ignition switch and steering lock are shared with the 2002. Or at least that what it appears. RealOEM doesn't list the ignition tumbler itself though so it may be shared with the door.

Anyone have any experience with these guys?

http://www.keys4classics.com/html/BMW1502-2002.html

They show the doors being the same as the ignition but the trunk being different......

Last edited:

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
2000CS locks/keys are not shared with E9s. They are shared with the NK sedans and maybe with 1600/2002s. The trunk keys are different from the ignition and door lock keys.

I think there is no steering wheel lock. You should be able to check this on your car easily. If the key is out and there is a steering wheel lock, you won't be able to turn the wheel.

Gelatinous

Reaction score
2000CS locks/keys are not shared with E9s. They are shared with the NK sedans and maybe with 1600/2002s. The trunk keys are different from the ignition and door lock keys.

I think there is no steering wheel lock. You should be able to check this on your car easily. If the key is out and there is a steering wheel lock, you won't be able to turn the wheel.

Thanks for the info! I had the front wheels in the air and was able to turn lock to lock without a steering lock engaging, but I wasn't sure if it was just by chance that this happened.

The car is going to be towed out of the drive in basement this coming Saturday and will be out in the fresh air for the first time in 15 years.

I can't wait to get started on getting it running.

Gelatinous

Reaction score
Well, I have good news! I found the keys to my 2000CS. They were in the trunk they must have shaken loose from their hiding spot during the flat bed tow. Also found out that is does have a steering lock but it is only engaged when the key it fully turned CCW.

I was lucky in that the key hadn't been turned far enough to engage the lock before being lost in the depths of the car. It would seem that the ignition key might have been changed at some point since the ignition key and door key are different and both are different from the trunk key.