1975 BMW CS (San Francisco)

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I never cease to be amazed at how many Craigslist posters believe they are paying by the word for their free ad.

Is there any reason that a free ad would not include simple pertinent info such as:

Mileage?
Length of ownership?
Reason for selling?
Who just completed that full service?
Why there is a total of 1 picture for a $25,000 car?

The fact that the wheels are described as Alpina Style- creates more questions.

Anyone want me to take a look- I'm in the Bay Area.

tmason

Reaction score
Don
Maybe you and Arde can go over to see the car and have Arde give us his 2 cents on why he is calling them Alpina's:)

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
I never cease to be amazed at how many Craigslist posters believe they are paying by the word for their free ad.

Is there any reason that a free ad would not include simple pertinent info such as:

Mileage?
Length of ownership?
Reason for selling?
Who just completed that full service?
Why there is a total of 1 picture for a $25,000 car?

The fact that the wheels are described as Alpina Style- creates more questions.

Anyone want me to take a look- I'm in the Bay Area.

Exactly. The bottom line is; most honest coupes are fully represented when they're put up for sale.

This one in particular reminds me a lot of a car I very nearly purchased years ago from a guy up in Napa/Healdsburg area. Not crazy about the root beer color, but the car was in good shape and passed the ppi I paid for.

"No issues," said the seller. But right before the exchange of monies, something made me ask pointedly about whether the title was clear. "Oh, well, the car has a salvage title." says he, -as though that was a minor point hardly worth mentioning in his original ad and during our lengthy discussions about condition etc. I assume he was hoping it wouldn't come up until after he had my-cash in his-hand.

Strangely, the original ad is still up on the web:
http://www.highwayone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds.cgi?cat=&resource_id=13045&header=

The omission of pertinent facts is, and was the deal killer. A properly represented, repaired and priced salvage title car of this age is totally acceptable imho.

What you don't want is sellers who won't represent their cars accurately.

I'm not saying these are the same car, btw, but if this current car has a black headliner and prior history with "Jake" in Healdsburg, be aware.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don
Maybe you and Arde can go over to see the car and have Arde give us his 2 cents on why he is calling them Alpina's:)

Confusing the Alpine CD player with Alpina is an honest mistake.

Looks like the same car. Went from $9200 to 25k$ after service and detailing.

A telltale sign of a dealer ad is the word "mated" for the transmission.
We apes have to have the car when we hear such a visceral expression.

Fortunately "wrapped in fresh rubber" reassures us we can operate safely.

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
In case it wasn't clear, that highwayone(dot)com ad is about 9 years old or so.... dunno why they never expire, but makes the comparison interesting here many years later.