1975 3.0 csi restoration complete (ish).

decampos

Reaction score
After a very lengthy restoration the car is [pretty much] back on the road save for a few bugs still being worked out.

The car was always fairly tidy looking but I was always aware that the little rust scabs were the tip of an iceberg. I bit the bullet in April and booked the car into the shop and ordered a stack of new sheet metal and parts from Walloth and Nesch. I did as much stripping and prep as I could. Sure enough, in the end there was twice as much worked performed than originally thought/budgeted for.

Loads of new metal (engine bay hell, all new inner and outer wheel arches, door bottoms, rear valance, various other bits), lots of new parts (new front windscreen, new seals, new gas tank (!), wipers and various other bits and pieces and of course new paint.

Though it was a 'challenging' time for me and my wallet, in the end, I'm over the moon with the results and the decisions I made (I think).

Anyway, it was actually a nice day today so I took a few photographs:

bmw1.jpg

bmw2.jpg

bmw3.jpg

Some photographs from the restoration: (there are hundreds)

bmw4.jpg

Putting the window guts back into the doors and getting everything working properly was unbelievably tricky.

bmw5.jpg

bmw6.jpg

There was a lot of bondo in the rear valance.

bmw7.jpg

This was a horrific surprise; the arches looked so tidy – was a good coverup job from someone down the line. Both the inner and outers needed to be replaced on each side. The guys were really impressed with the quality of Walloth and Nesch's parts btw.

bmw8.jpg

The seals for the front and rear windscreen surround hid a lot of rust. When I cut into them with a razor blade the rain water just poured out. I can vouch for the fact that these cars really do rust from the inside out.

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
The seals for the front and rear windscreen surround hid a lot of rust. When I cut into them with a razor blade the rain water just poured out. I can vouch for the fact that these cars really do rust from the inside out.

yes they do rust from the inside out!!

same c pillar inside and outside

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kizilsakal/6311825986/in/set-72157628291209713

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kizilsakal/6722473183/in/set-72157628930814355

Your car looks great now
congrats

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congratulations Decampos on your dedication and the result. Very impressive

Did you manage to take her out yesterday ? It was a beautiful autumn day in London, but maybe the last for a couple of months !

Can I ask who did the bodywork for you ?

Beemer70

Reaction score
Looks great! Just saw pics on Flikr also! Must be a relief its almost all done

decampos

Reaction score
Congratulations Decampos on your dedication and the result. Very impressive. Did you manage to take her out yesterday? It was a beautiful autumn day in London, but maybe the last for a couple of months! Can I ask who did the bodywork for you ?

Thanks Christopher. Indeed, those first photographs are from yesterday.

After a lot of shopping around and shortlisting, I decided upon this place: http://www.bowron-motorcare.com/
They'd worked on a few E9s already and generally made all the right noises, they're real fans of old cars. I'm really happy with the work.

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
Golly. That's a perfect example of how a sound car can look the same as one that needs serious work. On a more humorous note; that's the goofiest looking rust patch I've ever seen. I bet you didn't know whether to laugh or cry when you saw that.

Well my first thought was maybe it would be easier to make this car as a convertible :)