1974 CSA in Belfast

dbower

Reaction score
vinyl

Trivia question: aside from some poor misguided E9's, has anyone ever seen a vinyl top on any other BMW? I assume these were dealer-installed profit-padders, uh, options.

RogerB

Reaction score
Trivia question: aside from some poor misguided E9's, has anyone ever seen a vinyl top on any other BMW? I assume these were dealer-installed profit-padders, uh, options.

I've owned a 72 csi with one, and it appeared to have been on for a very long time. Very well applied and virtually no rust underneath. It even had tastefully done stainless trim pieces where the vinyl ended. There was a guy in Scotland that had one also. These were Euro models, and I have never encountered an American version with a vinyl top. My research back then indicated them to be dealer installed and were "trendy" in the early 70s. FWIW
RB

Last edited:

dj_efk

Reaction score
I've seen this for sale previously, maybe 12-18 months ago using the same pictures on the same site.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Most RHD CSLs had vinyl roofs when new

Trivia question: aside from some poor misguided E9's, has anyone ever seen a vinyl top on any other BMW? Ii assume these were dealer-installed profit-padders, uh, options.

Most RHD CSLs had vinyl roofs when new.
Most have been removed when the cars were repainted or restored.

Simufly

Reaction score
vinyl roof.

When the concessionaires in the UK found themselves with a lot of unsold stock they decided to add the vinyl roof FOC as a means of catching the then fashionable vinyl roof market. They were certainly well fitted and are quite attractive (to my eyes anyway!)