1974 3.0CSL on BaT

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
The listing describes the motor as being rebuilt, probably not to 3.2 specs? If the listing said it was rebuilt to 3.2 it would raise some flags.

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think a re-stampted motor thats not disclosed and passed off with the “zertifikat” is a deal killer.
Not only a deal killer, but illegal when done for the purpose of sale. The following is a snip from a vintage car law article on VintageAutomotiveNet.
“ Further, pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 2321 whoever buys, receives, possesses, or obtains control of, with intent to sell or otherwise dispose of, a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part, knowing that an identification number for such motor vehicle or part has been removed, obliterated, tampered with, or altered, could be fined or imprisoned for up to ten years. “

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
I see they have provided a BMW Classic Cert showing matching engine and body numbers. Just my opinion..... based on the hurdles I went through to get my CSL Cert, wouldn't BMW Classic have diligently checked the format, accuracy of all stampings pretty closely before agreeing to provide a BMW Classic Cert. BMW's reputation would be at risk certifying non legit stamping.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
That misaligned, drooping Motorsport valance stripe looks terrible, they should redo this stripe to be parallel to the top fender Motorsport stripe. A very simple redo that would look so much neater. Aside from that, it's a nice looking CSL.

Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 9.04.03 am.png

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I see they have provided a BMW Classic Cert showing matching engine and body numbers. Just my opinion..... based on the hurdles I went through to get my CSL Cert, wouldn't BMW Classic have diligently checked the format, accuracy of all stampings pretty closely before agreeing to provide a BMW Classic Cert. BMW's reputation would be at risk certifying non legit stamping.
BMW doesn’t verify anything other than proof of ownership.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That misaligned, drooping Motorsport valance stripe looks terrible, they should redo this stripe to be parallel to the top fender Motorsport stripe. A very simple redo that would look so much neater. Aside from that, it's a great looking CSL.

View attachment 168525

The whole bumper is clearly not factory. There are so many minor (and some major) things that are off with the car that an inventory would be just mean.

I haven’t seen many consignment sellers that are experts. I’m sure they exist for top tier cars, but this is a bottom tier batmobile. I’m not saying that to be rude, it’s just a fact. Alec has sold some nice cars on BaT.

Being annoyed with a consigner’s knowledge is like getting upset that a starbucks barista doesn’t remember your name. :D

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have my engine out and took a pic. Note the spacing of the "3 . 0" on mine as in the other pic by @Gransin, also mine has a "200" inside an arched frame (what's this for?). Also, no digits are out of alignment - weren't these done by a machine where the last digit would change after each stamp? The + signs on the BaT CSL seem to be done in 2 steps with a flat sided tool of some sort. Not trying to stir the pot here, but I'm curious.

View attachment 168513

While I’m not surprised coming from your motor @Stevehose, but that is the nicest e9 block stamp I’ve ever seen. Thanks for the clarity on the “+” stamp.

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
This auction is a very strange approach to buyer engagement..."To me all cars are perfect… because they give me joy when I drive them."

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
When you read his comments on different auctions you realize that that’s how this guy operates. Everything revolves around him. He is the TV preacher of used cars
He has a network of other people around the country that are dealers/consigners and you'll find that so many of the comments on all of their auctions are shill comments from within that group. I have really pissed one of them off on more than one occasion for commenting on his E28 M5 listings. Another of this group will not stop bugging me to sell them my E34 M5 touring so they can sell it on BaT. When I used to respond, I must have said 50 different ways it's not for sale but they don't give up.

The thing that bothers me most is the photography goes so far to be artistic but some of it is so bad you can't see anything.

Unfortunately, when it comes to these restamped vins so many people claim ignorance or suggest this is an acceptable practice if the block was replaced still citing that the numbers match. The mental gymnastics are kinda funny, but the problem is that there's serious money involved here either way, especially in a no reserve listing. I do sympathize with people that had no idea, pay a premium price for a car because they were misled then get trounced in a deal like this where they lose $100k or something going no reserve and a revelation comes out that the car wasn't what it was thought to be.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
When you read his comments on different auctions you realize that that’s how this guy operates. Everything revolves around him. He is the TV preacher of used cars
That made me LOL :)

The circle jerking support network of other dealers and a few punters has become the ruination of BAT for me, although Jim Jones would no doubt be proud of the sycophantic adulation being poured from dealer to dealer.

Gerrit

Reaction score
Yes, plenty of things to improve on this car...I wanted to bring to attention that the car stayed almost a year at BMW before going to Denzel in Austria, the BMW importer and supporter of several racing teams. One could think that the car was used by one of the co worker in Munich...also reasons to believe this car was born as a City pack. All the surviving 3.2 liters cars have most likely been converted to full winged CSLs by now.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is odd -
I was going to add to the fun on BaT.
I typed up a comment and when I hit send... saw a 'Are you sure" web page come up.... and my post was not submitted....

Never seen that before....

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If a city pack Csl Batmobile (without the spoiler package) was to show up, it would probably cause confusion and not only to non Csl owners!