1973 CS with 36k original miles

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That looks just like the one with 35K <G> Must be getting a lot of test drives.

calshamus

Reaction score
Nope. Not a single test drive, except the video...I've been driving it, problem free, almost every day since I got it.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you received many calls ? A car with that mileage is rare indeed.

execmalibu

Reaction score
35,000 Original Miles Mint Condition and not one serious $35,000 offer...

You have been marketing this apparently amazing 3.0CS for almost a month on this and other sites and NOT one serious offer?

Everyone one says I stole the "Great Pumpkin" but I am not so sure... The "Great Pumpkin" was advertised on Hemmings for almost five months with no offers!

A dealer was looking at the "Great Pumpkin" listed at $18,000 (or best offer) before I got there. I thought oh well I missed this one... But to my amazement he told me to him the car was an $8,000 car and he didn't even want to make an offer... There were also a lot of other people who saw the car during the past five months and they all PASSED also... I have no idea why?

Attachments

• Orange 4.jpg
    Orange 4.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd have bought that for 18K if it checked out structurally when I got there. You must think of it as a potentially increasing asset or what would be the point in your case.

execmalibu

Reaction score
Nicad, I was buying early 911s about 20 years ago...

I was buying early 911S as investments about 20 years ago...

I had (2) 73 911S Targas for almost ten years with little or no appreciation... I sold one for $10K which was less then I had in it and the other for $13,500... Today seven years later either car would be worth $40-60K as they were or a lot more restored...

In 5-10 years maybe the E9 will be collectible and have value... unfortunately Not so far!

But I really like the E9s and my investment intuition so far has been dead on... The 911 market did finally explode in value... I just did not wait long enough...

BTW the "GREAT PUMPKIN" is absolutely Rock Solid underneath...

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

calshamus

Reaction score
I did have one serious offer from someone here on the forum, but the DMV messed up and didn't "check the box" to send me a title. Never had that happen before, but anyway I went to the DMV and the branch supervisor personally fixed it stating I would have the title this week. So not having the title stalled the sale, I don't blame him as I personally wouldn't do anything without a title in hand either (everybody has a story). But in addition he indicated he was going to keep looking, so it was a very non-committal let's talk later kind of thing. Also he was trying to get me off the bottom price.

So knowing I'd get the title this week and being tired of all the back and forth, and really with nothing to loose, I thought why not give eBay a whirl for a week, even though they're greedy bastards and I'm not a fan.

So I'm at the end of all of this, one way or the other:
1. It sells on eBay.
2. It doesn't sell on eBay, and the previous potential buyer steps up.
3. It doesn't sell at all, I keep it and put a 5 speed in it, or maybe a whole drivetrain from an M6.
4. It's possible I list it on BAT, but they want this and that and some other thing to list it as an exclusive. Not sure I want to continue this dance. I'm 3 weeks past the time I wanted to spend saving this car. And it took me some time to find the car I'm listing for sale.

I've been driving it almost everyday and it's a blast. I'm ready to "Blumax" it and drive it until the wheels fall off, guilt free..stop posting in classifieds, and more posting in General Discussion and E9 Projects & Restorations.

execmalibu

Reaction score
Title is not a deal killer...

If the guy was serious and a real buyer not having the Title in hand is not usually a deal breaker... If there was some sketchy story maybe... But you could have sent him the DMV paperwork showing that you own the car and that the Title was being processed... Lots of times with cars that are financed you have to wait weeks for the bank to send you the Title. A Bill of Sale will get the registration in his name started at the DMV.

Plus when you buy a car from a used car dealer you DO NOT get the title... You only get the DMV transfer application forms from the dealer and that is ALL. Most people think they are safe but if the used car dealer does not process the paperwork or "FORGETS" to payoff the Lien Holder you could have serious problems...

I paid over $110K in a CC for my SL65 and had to haunt MB-USA for six weeks to get them to sign a Lien Release even though I had the Title in hand!

Also in Calif a Duplicate Title is Legal... And a Title in someone elses name with a bill of sale from them to you then from you to the next guy is Legal...

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I paid over $110K in a CC for my SL65 and had to haunt MB-USA for six weeks to get them to sign a Lien Release even though I had the Title in hand!

Not to hijack this thread but... how can there still be a lien on a vehicle if you have the title in hand? The only way that can happen is for you to already have the title when the lien is started, which is very rare. If a bank has a lien on a vehicle they have the title. When its paid off they stamp and sign the title and mail it to the owner or notify the CA DMV electronically that the title is transferred to the owner (CA is a paperless title state).

Is there another scenerio I'm missing?

Dan

execmalibu

Reaction score
The idiot at mb-usa financial stamped/signed in the wrong place...

When the person from MB-USA Financial stamped the Title they signed in the wrong place for the Lien Satisfied/Release of Lien...

You would think that they have done this before... But apparently every time they sign a Title is like the very first time!:wink:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jeff,

I missed you at Coupeking's by five minutes, my coupe was parked outside waiting for me to bring her home.

execmalibu

Reaction score
Chris, That is your Malaga E9? Erick said his friend Chris I thought it was you?

I cannot believe how awful I mean absolutely horrible that Malaga E9 looks, simply terrible!:mrgreen:

The interior is even worse..:grin:

I walked over to the car and told Erick "Now this is an AMAZING E9"...

Sorry I missed you... I was in the "GREAT PUMPKIN"

I think Erick liked the car except he hates Colorado on a Coupe...

ny30cs

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread but... how can there still be a lien on a vehicle if you have the title in hand? The only way that can happen is for you to already have the title when the lien is started, which is very rare. If a bank has a lien on a vehicle they have the title. When its paid off they stamp and sign the title and mail it to the owner or notify the CA DMV electronically that the title is transferred to the owner (CA is a paperless title state).

Is there another scenerio I'm missing?

Dan

NY state will issue a title and send it to the owner of the car even if there is a lien. He can even sell the car but the lien will remain on that car until it has been satisfied. You MUST have a lien release even if you have a title in hand if that title has a recorded lien on the front of it.
Every state has their own rules. Buyer beware but common sense should be enough. No lien recorded, you should be good to go.......No title, I'd hold off unless you had a huge comfort level and even then you are taking a chance......