1973 BMW Bavaria for sale

e3er

Reaction score
For sale is my 1973 Bavaria.

It was for sale last year before I put it away for winter storage. I received a good number of phone calls after it appeared on Bring A Trailer. The only guy to seriously look at it left a $500 cash deposit before vanishing.

It's not for general sale yet, but I thought I'd post it here in case anyone was looking.

Quick Facts:
- 73 Bavaria 3.0
- 4 speed manual
- original motor (albeit with Webers) and Transmission.
- about 130k miles - odo still turns
- LSD from a Euro e24, but have the original factory open diff too.
- original interior, chrome.
- mostly original paint.
- virtually no rust. It's an AZ car, spent most of its life in CA, and then has been garaged by me year round for the last 4 years
- in my time: new Konis, brakes, waterpump, tires, etc...
- just passed Provincial Aircare emissions testing a few weeks ago on 1st try after 4 months of storage.
- use the car for long distance drives/rallies, but between work/new baby/health stuff I just have little time to even drive it. I'm in no rush; I have a garage for it and its not costing me anything to keep for better days.
- It's NOT a show car, but rather a very solid and reliable driver with an excellent body, interior, and mechanicals. I bought it to drive, not show, so it works great for me. Enjoy as-is turnkey or bring it to the next level cosmetically.

NLA

Pics can be found here:
http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/Sko-tastic/library/1973%20BMW%20Bavaria?page=1

SpringThaw2012Bav-3.jpg

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is a great car IMHO. Good luck with the sale.

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and found your listing (and the forum) by Googling for Bavarias on sale. I really like the car and had a few questions. First, is the car available to aspiring enthusiasts or only to established forum members? I see your ad says you listed it on the forum before listing it for sale generally. I just joined the forum to respond to this ad, but I've been passively looking for a decent Bavaria for a couple of years. Second, how is headroom/legroom in the car? I'm 6'6". I test-drove a Bavaria once and found I had enough space in it but the one I drove had some modifications (including a later-model seat) so I wasn't sure how the space is in Bavarias generally. Third, I am in St. Louis and would have to have it transported. I got an online quote of around $1,500 from "US Canada Auto Transport" but wondering if anyone has had success with other (and hopefully cheaper) transporters. Thanks, great car and great forum.

AG

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i never had a problem in my bavaria. i'm 6'-3", but long i have a long torso. fit good in the coupe too

Victor

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and found your listing (and the forum) by Googling for Bavarias on sale. I really like the car and had a few questions. First, is the car available to aspiring enthusiasts or only to established forum members? I see your ad says you listed it on the forum before listing it for sale generally. I just joined the forum to respond to this ad, but I've been passively looking for a decent Bavaria for a couple of years. Second, how is headroom/legroom in the car? I'm 6'6". I test-drove a Bavaria once and found I had enough space in it but the one I drove had some modifications (including a later-model seat) so I wasn't sure how the space is in Bavarias generally. Third, I am in St. Louis and would have to have it transported. I got an online quote of around $1,500 from "US Canada Auto Transport" but wondering if anyone has had success with other (and hopefully cheaper) transporters. Thanks, great car and great forum.

AG

US Canada Auto transport is recommended. I used them to bring my E9 into Canada and it was a very easy and painless experience. They have a great customer service and always keep you fully informed.
The car looks great. Good luck and welcome to the Forum. I am new to the forum as well and the members are a wealth of help and info.

aalto

Reaction score
Hello AG,

This bavaria belongs to an aquaintance of mine. I'll shoot him an email and let him know your interested as i'm not sure how often he checks in on this forum. I've seen the car in person many times and spent several hours riding in the back seat when my 2002 decided to cough up a piston. I can say that it is as good as described (if not better!)- as rust free as any e9 or e3 i've seen and very original.

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thank you both for the replies. I thought I subscribed to the thread but I wasn't getting email alerts so I just saw the replies now. I suppose I should just give the owner a call. Thanks.

AG

e3er

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the interest.

To answer some of your questions...

1. I can't speak to 6'6", but I'm 6'4" and have no trouble with it.

2. $1500 sounds about right, esp. given the price of gas. There's a site that allows shippers to bid on the job; I've used it a couple of times and got good rates (if flexible with time)

3. Please also note that the car is in Canada, and needs to be imported. Options include:
A. Buyer comes here and drives across. Easiest and cheapest.
B. A broker clears it and I drive it across to Blaine where it could be picked up by a shipping. Broker fees are about $350 + shipping(?).
C. Shipper picks it up here and drive it across and does the brokerage. Price ?

4. It's not listed anywhere else yet ONLY because I'm in no serious rush to sell, and even then I'm reluctant. Between 2 jobs, new baby, and some health issues I just have very little time to enjoy it. All I've done this year is insure it for a day, and took it to pass AirCare (emissions testing) which it passed. If I had a bit more time and my leg bothered me less, I'd be keeping it.

This may sound silly, but at this stage I'd still really like to find a buyer who has a proper garage (or at least a carport if in the Southwest). I just can't part with it yet if it's going to see more than occasional rain/snow let alone salt!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me or call me.

Thanks,
Chris

e3er

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. Still have your e9?

Hello AG,

This bavaria belongs to an aquaintance of mine. I'll shoot him an email and let him know your interested as i'm not sure how often he checks in on this forum. I've seen the car in person many times and spent several hours riding in the back seat when my 2002 decided to cough up a piston. I can say that it is as good as described (if not better!)- as rust free as any e9 or e3 i've seen and very original.

e3er

Reaction score
Oh, and someone else interested in the cars asked for pics of the bottom of the doors, so I've included a few in the photobucket account link.

Thanks,
Chris

ageorge97

Reaction score
Great Car -

Very nice car, I may have missed it, but how much are you looking for?

Regards

Vitibuddha

Reaction score
Nice car. Did it sell? I'm looking to buy one. This one fits the bill. Let me know if its still available.

I'll include a case of wine in the deal! We make Zinfandel and Sauv Blanc in beautiful Sonoma County!

Last edited:

Vitibuddha

Reaction score
Actually, I have struggled with finding someone to work on it. I have not tried North Bay Bavarian.

Especially difficult is finding someone to tune the dual webers.

Any ideas?

Chris.

corvair kid

Reaction score
If you don't mind the trip down to San Rafael, Bill Arnold is the guy to see. He's done One Lap of America and the Targa Newfoundland, among other things, in his '72 "FrankenBav" and he's taken great care of me and my '73.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Actually, I have struggled with finding someone to work on it. I have not tried North Bay Bavarian.

Especially difficult is finding someone to tune the dual webers.

Any ideas?

Chris.

Go see Rick Rowe at North Bay Bavarian, tell him Shane with the ugly Golf colored BMW sent you. He'll charge you double.

No, he does great work and a very, very, stand up guy. Known him for years, took my BMW to him since I was 16 years old, I'm 45 now.. He is one of the best. He's in Santa Rosa.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Any inclination to work on it yourself? These things are fairly straight forward and the forum info is top notch. I started doing my own stuff because the drop off/pick up, "part didn't come in today" scenario became a PIA...and I found I like doing it.