1973 bmw 3.0cs $75,000

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think this will be for sale for a while....maybe till $75,000 buys a Hyundai Veloceter.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No

unbelievable, I wish I knew how to ask for so much while offering so little...

jmackro

Reaction score
verde2002 said:
Are these non CSL cars selling for this kind of money in todays market?

Just from the photos, it looks like a decent coupe. Someone obviously sank some money into it - perhaps as much as $75K. It isn't unusual for a seller to believe that whatever he invested will be reflected in the price a buyer should be willing to pay.

But no, the price of non CSL coupes hasn't risen to $75,000. About half that would be approximately correct.

For another data point, the "Sports Car Market 2012 Pocket Price Guide" gives the range $10,000 to $17,500 for '72 - '74 BMW 3.0 CS. Now I'll agree those numbers are low.

If you decide to make an offer, tell the seller you're deducting $40K for that Pep Boys steering wheel - gearshift combo.

5I55Ef5Fa3Ia3ma3J8c9g4ce8031b0da5163e.jpg

Last edited:

CookeD

Reaction score
Yes, this one looks as though it's had some questionable changes. $75K is fantasyland, but on the other side of that, there aren't a lot of good ones out there.

I just had my coupe out this past weekend for the first time in a while after sorting a few things-- What an absolute blast the car is to drive. There is no way you can touch a tight, well-sorted, and presentable E9 for $17K.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If he gets every penny there is a good chance someone is getting taken advantage of and I hate to see that happen.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
values...

IMO, the only valuations that seem remotely realistic are on the Hagerty website. I second Jmackro's 50% but wouldn't mind being wrong since "a rising tide floats all boats", except for the ones with rust holes.

snj5

Reaction score
Having been in the broader market for a while, 75k seems a lot of bob for that car. That said, I think in the day of $20k+ light British fare, the market may come to realize the CSL, CSi, and CS (in that order) are currently undervalued. And while not to as great an extent, good examples will follow their contemporary comps such as early 70s 911s, and in extremis, Dinos. While there have been many wonderful upgraded cars, this market movement, I think, will follow the established pattern of original or period equipped cars being the most desirble to collectors looking for the 'next big thing'. While I may be wrong, friends, now is the time to get a solid original coupe. I just did. All of the collector guys looking for an alternative to $70k 2.4 liter 911s are just an epiphany away from realizing what a classically great car the E9 is.
JMHO, YMMV.