1973 3.0CSL on Sotheby's auction soon.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hmmm ... very funny VIN tag. the VIN 2285395 is RHD CSL. if this is really a CSL, somebody has flipped the steering column to LHD.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
there are several CSL race cars with the number 25 on it. if i remember correctly, the real one is owned by our friend @BMW Pete. i saw one at Amelia in 2014, but it is not the car on auction and is not Pete's. the factory race cars had the engine set vertically rather than the traditional angle. the car in this auction is not a BMW prepared race car, its a RHD CSL that has been race prepared by somebody

Attachments

• IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 43

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
there are several CSL race cars with the number 25 on it. if i remember correctly, the real one is owned by our friend @BMW Pete. i saw one at Amelia in 2014, but it is not the car on auction and is not Pete's. the factory race cars had the engine set vertically rather than the traditional angle. the car in this auction is not a BMW prepared race car, its a RHD CSL that has been race prepared by somebody

Hi Scott

You are correct my friend, the car that famously wore the number 25 when winning at Sebring in 1975 with Redman, Stuck, Posey and Moffat, sits amongst its siblings in my warehouse.

It currently has the Group 5 bodywork BMW put on it by BMW Motorsport in March 1976 when it was made into the Group 5 Hermetite CSL which then won at Silverstone with Walkinshaw and Fitzpatrick, amongst many other great finishes that season.

The works CSL BMW NA own, which is shown all around the country, currently has the number 25 on its side - yet it ran most often with the number 24 and had some fine results as the number 24, for clarity their car did run just once at Mosport with the number 25 on it, but DNF that race, so I doubt they are celebrating that. . BMW believed for years their car was the famous number 25 but a very small group of knowledgeable historians knew that was not case, thankfully in 2016 Tom Plucinsky with help from Rudi Gmeiner clarified which IMSA car did what, and BMW learned their car was not the famous #25.

1698719994986.jpeg

Last edited: